Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, July 25, 2016

Six years…

Join Team I’m just sayin… in our Walk to End Alzheimer’s! If you would like to join or donate, just click on the Walk to End Alzheimer’s button above this post (if you are on your computer). Or, if you’re on your phone click here.


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Assistant Surgeon Leonard Wood (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions in the summer of 1886, in the Apache campaign. His citation reads:

Voluntarily carried dispatches through a region infested with hostile Indians, making a journey of 70 miles in one night and walking 30 miles the next day. Also for several weeks, while in close pursuit of Geronimo's band and constantly expecting an encounter, commanded a detachment of Infantry, which was then without an officer, and to the command of which he was assigned upon his own request.

Private Mark Wood (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions in April 1862, in Georgia. His citation reads:

One of the 19 of 22 men (including 2 civilians), who, by direction of Gen. Mitchell (or Buell), penetrated nearly 200 miles south into enemy territory and captured a railroad train at Big Shanty, Ga., and attempted to destroy the bridges and track between Chattanooga and Atlanta.

Captain Richard H. Wood (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 22, 1863, at Vicksburg, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Led the "volunteer storming party," which made a most gallant assault upon the enemy's works.


Today’s Pic


Susie's hand on top of MaMa's hand... The last time Susie saw MaMa (and one of the last times I saw her). Before this picture was taken, The Wife was holding Susie (who wasn't even 1 yet) and telling her to wave.  MaMa was waving and we were all telling Susie to wave, but Susie was just sitting there looking at MaMa.  Then I looked at her hand that was behind The Wife and saw that it was waving like crazy.  It still makes me laugh thinking about it.

The calendar, if such things are to be believed, shows that it has been six years since MaMa died. How is this possible? How have I made it six years without her here to protect and advise me? Sure, she waited to leave us until I was bigger than everyone else in the family… so that might help explain how I’ve made it this long without her protection. And yes, I do still have Mom and Dad to help in the advice department… but when I look back on my childhood and the things they let me do… I’m not sure I can trust all of their advice. And when it comes to kids, Dad’s favorite thing to tell me is that my kids are a lot smarter than his kids were. Which I’m sure is true (all 3 of my kids talk), but he can’t offer me too much advise because things are so different now than when he had children in the house. For example, Dad controlled the TV when I was growing up. I was in college before I realized old Western’s weren’t the only thing on TV on Saturdays or that something other than Braves baseball games were on at 7:05 pm from April to September. These days, the kids (with the backing of The Wife) control the TV. I know far too much about the TV shows on the Disney Channel (or Disney XD). God help me if I want to watch a TV show that’s rated PG-13 with the kids still up. Apparently, telling them to cover their eyes (or ears) doesn’t work in 2016 like it did in 1986…

No comments:

Post a Comment