Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, June 3, 2016

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ADRIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Colonel Orlando B. Willcox (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 21, 1861, at Bull Run, Virginia. His citation reads:

Led repeated charges until wounded and taken prisoner.

Private First Class Louis E. Willett (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on February 15, 1967, at Kontum Province, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Pfc. Willett distinguished himself while serving as a rifleman in Company C, during combat operations. His squad was conducting a security sweep when it made contact with a large enemy force. The squad was immediately engaged with a heavy volume of automatic weapons fire and pinned to the ground. Despite the deadly fusillade, Pfc. Willett rose to his feet firing rapid bursts from his weapon and moved to a position from which he placed highly effective fire on the enemy. His action allowed the remainder of his squad to begin to withdraw from the superior enemy force toward the company perimeter. Pfc. Willett covered the squad's withdrawal, but his position drew heavy enemy machinegun fire, and he received multiple wounds enabling the enemy again to pin down the remainder of the squad. Pfc. Willett struggled to an upright position, and, disregarding his painful wounds, he again engaged the enemy with his rifle to allow his squad to continue its movement and to evacuate several of his comrades who were by now wounded. Moving from position to position, he engaged the enemy at close range until he was mortally wounded. By his unselfish acts of bravery, Pfc. Willett insured the withdrawal of his comrades to the company position, saving their lives at the cost of his life. Pfc. Willett's valorous actions were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Army and reflect great credit upon himself and the Armed Forces of his country.

Machinist Charles H. Willey (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 29, 1916, Off Santo Domingo City, Santo Domingo. His citation reads:

For extraordinary heroism in the line of his profession while serving on board the U.S.S. Memphis, at a time when that vessel was suffering total destruction from a hurricane while anchored off Santo Domingo City, 29 August 1916. Machinist Willey took his station in the engineer's department and remained at his post of duty amidst scalding steam and the rush of thousands of tons of water into his department as long as the engines would turn, leaving only when ordered to leave. When the boilers exploded, he assisted in getting the men out of the fireroom and carrying them into the engineroom, where there was air instead of steam to breathe. Machinist Willey's conduct on this occasion was above and beyond the call of duty.


I would like to take some time today to wish my buddy Adrian a very Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!! I trust that Michael and their 3 sweet boys will make it a great one!

If you want my opinion (and you might not… but it’s my blog, so…) I feel bad for the gorilla that was shot and killed in the zoo. Chances are, he didn’t want to be there in the first place… and he didn’t leave his area… he just did what gorillas do. So I feel bad for the gorilla. BUT, I don’t blame the zoo for shooting it. They did what they had to do. They might want to look at making it harder for children to get into dangerous places, but in this situation they did what they had to do. And thumbs up to whoever took that shot. I’ve never shot a gorilla myself, but I’m guessing you don’t want to just wing that sucker in the arm. I’m pretty sure they get a little ticked off at something like that. As for the parent, it’s easy to say she (I think it was the mom who was there) should have done more to keep the child from going into a dangerous area. It’s even easier to say this if you’ve never had to keep watch of a young child like that. Now, maybe she is a bad mom… I don’t know. Like most topics I talk about on here, I’ve done as little research as humanly possible before sharing my opinion. But, as a parent who has children who don’t always listen… and as a son who had a brother and sister who didn’t always listen to our parents, I can see how something like this could happen to a “good” parent. I’m just sayin…

You may or may not have noticed that I am again raising money for the Walk to End Alzheimer’s. The walk this year is in September (the 17th)… please donate. If you’re on a computer, you can look above this post and follow my progress (I’ve raised 10% of my goal so far). Just click on that box and it will take you to my page. If you are on your phone, click here to get to my page. I’m just sayin… has a team walking again this year. There is a link on my page if you would like to join our team. So far we have 4 members… it would be great to have a large group. Of course, it would be better to raise a large sum of money. Of course, your donation is tax deductible… so give early and often.

No comments:

Post a Comment