Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, April 22, 2016

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Captain William H. Ward (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 3, 1863, at Vicksburg, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Voluntarily commanded the expedition which, under cover of darkness, attempted to run the enemy's batteries.

Corporal John Warden (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 22, 1863, at Vicksburg, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Gallantry in the charge of the "volunteer storming party."

Lieutenant Colonel Keith L. Ware (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 26, 1944, near Sigolsheim, France. His citation reads:

Commanding the 1st Battalion attacking a strongly held enemy position on a hill near Sigolsheim, France, on 26 December 1944, found that 1 of his assault companies had been stopped and forced to dig in by a concentration of enemy artillery, mortar, and machinegun fire. The company had suffered casualties in attempting to take the hill. Realizing that his men must be inspired to new courage, Lt. Col. Ware went forward 150 yards beyond the most forward elements of his command, and for 2 hours reconnoitered the enemy positions, deliberately drawing fire upon himself which caused the enemy to disclose his dispositions. Returning to his company, he armed himself with an automatic rifle and boldly advanced upon the enemy, followed by 2 officers, 9 enlisted men, and a tank. Approaching an enemy machinegun, Lt. Col. Ware shot 2 German riflemen and fired tracers into the emplacement, indicating its position to his tank, which promptly knocked the gun out of action. Lt. Col. Ware turned his attention to a second machinegun, killing 2 of its supporting riflemen and forcing the others to surrender. The tank destroyed the gun. Having expended the ammunition for the automatic rifle, Lt. Col. Ware took up an Ml rifle, killed a German rifleman, and fired upon a third machinegun 50 yards away. His tank silenced the gun. Upon his approach to a fourth machinegun, its supporting riflemen surrendered and his tank disposed of the gun. During this action Lt. Col. Ware's small assault group was fully engaged in attacking enemy positions that were not receiving his direct and personal attention. Five of his party of 11 were casualties and Lt. Col. Ware was wounded but refused medical attention until this important hill position was cleared of the enemy and securely occupied by his command.


I hope my sweet niece Leah has a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sadly, I’m not sure her parents and sisters will make it a good one… but maybe I’ll be surprised. :)

I have sad news to report to you this morning... Rock in Roll Hall of Famer Prince has passed away at the age of 57.  Aside from having one of the best (if not THE best) names in the business, Prince had a large catalog of very good/great songs.  While I wasn't a huge fan, I did love a few of his songs (1999, Little Red Corvette, When Doves Cry).  Here's a clip from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame of Prince & a handful of other greats playing the George Harrison classic While My Guitar Gently Weeps.  Around the middle of the song, Prince has a guitar solo that made me stop what I was doing and say "Wow!" out loud to no one in particular.




I am also sorry to tell you that the very funny actress Doris Roberts passed away at the age of 90.  I don't know what you know her from, but if it isn't "Everybody Loves Raymond", then you are missing out.  She played her role on that show to perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment