Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, December 1, 2015

From the game…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Second Lieutenant Walter E. Truemper (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on February 20, 1944, over Europe. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy in connection with a bombing mission over enemy-occupied Europe on 20 February 1944. The aircraft on which 2d Lt. Truemper was serving as navigator was attacked by a squadron of enemy fighters with the result that the copilot was killed outright, the pilot wounded and rendered unconscious, the radio operator wounded and the plane severely damaged Nevertheless, 2d Lt. Truemper and other members of the crew managed to right the plane and fly it back to their home station, where they contacted the control tower and reported the situation. 2d Lt. Truemper and the engineer volunteered to attempt to land the plane. Other members of the crew were ordered to jump, leaving 2d Lt. Truemper and the engineer aboard. After observing the distressed aircraft from another plane, 2d Lt. Truemper's commanding officer decided the damaged plane could not be landed by the inexperienced crew and ordered them to abandon it and parachute to safety. Demonstrating unsurpassed courage and heroism, 2d Lt. Truemper and the engineer replied that the pilot was still alive but could not be moved and that they would not desert him. They were then told to attempt a landing. After 2 unsuccessful efforts their plane crashed into an open field in a third attempt to land. 2d Lt. Truemper, the engineer, and the wounded pilot were killed.

Corporal Donald Leroy Truesdale (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 24, 1932, in the vicinity of Constancia, near Coco River, northern Nicaragua. His citation reads:

Cpl. Truesdale was second in command of a Guardia Nacional Patrol in active operations against armed bandit forces in the vicinity of Constancia, near Coco River, northern Nicaragua, on 24 April 1932. While the patrol was in formation on the trail searching for a bandit group with which contact had just previously been made, a rifle grenade fell from its carrier and struck a rock, igniting the detonator. Several men close to the grenade at the time were in danger. Cpl. Truesdale, who was several yards away, could easily have sought cover and safety for himself. Knowing full well the grenade would explode within 2 or 3 seconds, he rushed for the grenade, grasped it in his right hand, and attempted to throw it away from the patrol. The grenade exploded in his hand, blowing it off and inflicting serious multiple wounds about his body. Cpl. Truesdale, in taking the full shock of the explosion himself, saved the members of the patrol from loss of life or serious injury.

Coxswain Alexander H. Truett (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864, on board the U.S.S. Richmond. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Richmond during action against rebel forts and gunboats and with the ram Tennessee in Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Despite damage to his ship and the loss of several men on board as enemy fire raked her decks, Truett performed his duties with skill and courage throughout a furious 2_hour battle which resulted in the surrender of the rebel ram Tennessee and in the damaging and destruction of batteries at Fort Morgan.


Help Team I’m just sayin… in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s

To donate to me: Click Here.


As many of you know, The Wife and I went to the big game this past Saturday thanks to my Uncle George. We had a great time hanging out with Teresa Lynn and Brent and watching Clemson win. I came close to cheering for USC because before the game some Revolutionary War Hero fans shared their Chick-fil-a with me… that might not mean much to you, but to me that meant I was dang close to owing them a life-debt. We had great seats and the people around us (mostly USC fans, but also some Clemson fans) were very nice. The person who annoyed me the most was a Clemson fan a couple of rows behind us. The Wife was about to fight a 90 year old woman sitting in front of me, but I’m not sure the woman knew they were about to fight. In the end, though, The Wife kept her cool. All in all, it was a good day.


Here’s a video from the halftime show. I don’t usually remember halftime shows, but this is one I’m sure I will remember for a while. It was pretty cool…




We had a great Thanksgiving. Daniel and Sonny told “knock-knock” jokes to each other for about two days. It was probably the most Sonny has talked in the last 10 years combined. It’s a little known fact that Sonny is the only student in the history of the Charleston County School District to ever get in trouble for NOT talking in class (one teacher was once overheard saying, “It just ain’t natural for a boy to be that quiet!”).

I was mimicking The Wife last night yelling about something and just as she was about to complain that “I don’t sound like that” Susie walked into the den and said, “Is Mommy yelling at someone?”. We hadn’t planned it, but her timing and delivery were perfect.

MR, Susie and me on the train at the park to see the lights

There was a lot of orange in the stadium this past Saturday

A picture of my friend Cory... somewhere behind the FG posts

Both bands spelling out SC Strong

Me and The Wife

Taking a picture of The Wife taking a selfie with a Revolutionary War Hero fan

Ethan explaining to me that his cheeks are hiding his neck

Me and Susie at the park (before the train ride)

No comments:

Post a Comment