Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, May 4, 2015

Top 4 Beatles “Solo” Careers

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Captain of the Forecastle John Smith (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864, on board the U.S.S. Lackawanna. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Lackawanna during the successful attacks against Fort Morgan, rebel gunboats and the ram Tennessee in Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Serving as a gun captain and finding he could not depress his gun when alongside the rebel ironclad Tennessee, Smith threw a hand holystone into one of the ports at a rebel using abusive language against the crew of the ship. He continued his daring action throughout the engagement which resulted in the capture of the prize ram Tennessee and in the damaging and destruction of Fort Morgan.

Second Captain of the Top John Smith (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864, on board the U.S.S. Richmond. His citation reads:

As captain of a gun on board the U.S.S. Richmond during action against rebel forts and gunboats and with the ram Tennessee in Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Despite damage to his ship and the loss of several men on board as enemy fire raked her decks, Smith fought his gun with skill and courage throughout a furious 2_hour battle which resulted in the surrender of the rebel ram Tennessee and in the damaging and destruction of batteries at Fort Morgan.

Seaman John Smith (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 19, 1880, on board the U.S.S. Shenandoah. His citation reads:

For jumping overboard from the U.S.S. Shenandoah, at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 19 September 1880, and rescuing from drowning James Grady, first class fireman.


Help Team I’m just sayin… in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s

To donate to me: Click Here.

To join team I’m just sayin…: Click Here.


The I'm just sayin… Countdown May List of the Day


Top 4 Beatles "Solo" Careers

I say "solo" careers, but what I really mean is "post Beatles" career.

4   Ringo Starr   Solo/Ringo Starr and his All-Starr Band… Some notable songs include: "It Don't Come Easy", "Photograph", "Oh My My". He also played drums on many other hits recorded by his former band mates.   The thing about the Beatles is that you're going to have a Hall of Famer at #4 no matter who you pick. So, I'm going with the last guy from the group to get in as an individual.

3   John Lennon   Noteable hits: "Imagine", "Instant Karma!", "Jealous Guy", "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)", "Watching the Wheels", "Happy Xmas (War is Over)"   This is probably one, I'm sure, many people will disagree with… but I stand by it. Honesly, I almost had him at #4. While none of them, in my opinion, was better on their own than in the group, Lennon seemed to do the worst on his own (don't get me wrong, though, he's still a hall of famer). To be fair, he could have gotten better had he not been shot and killed.

2   George Harrison   Solo/Traveling Wilburys. Noteable songs: "My Sweet Lord", "Got My Mind Set on You", "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)", "All Those Years Ago", "What Is Life", "Handle with Care", "End of the Line", "When We Was Fab"   George Harrison could very well be my favorite of the Beatles. He was probably under-used in the group, but it's hard to argue with the work John and Paul were doing in the group.

1   Paul McCartney   Solo/Wings… Noteable Songs: "Band on the Run", "Listen to What the Man Said", "Live and Let Die", "My Love", "Silly Love Songs", "No More Lonely Nights", "Maybe I'm Amazed", "Ebony and Ivory", "Here Today"   I don't really see how anyone could think Paul hasn't had the best post-Beatles career… though I'd be willing to listen to a good argument.

2 comments:

  1. 4. Ringo - This isn't a knock on him..but it is hard for a drummer to 'go solo' and make as big of an impact as others. He has continued to have a good career though.

    3. George - I'm a huge George Harrison fan and like you said, I thought he was under-used in the group (some of 'his' Beatles songs are some of my favorites). But for the most part, I didn't like his solo stuff as much as I expected to.

    2. John - He probably didn't realize his talent as a solo artist as much as he could have (some of that was due to his untimely death), but the stuff he put out right after the Beatles broke up (Imagine, Instant Karma, Give Peace a Chance, Happy Xmas, etc) was so big/iconic at the time, that he gets the slight edge over George.

    1. Paul - His success and longevity as a post-Beatles artist dwarfs the other three...though I almost dropped him from #1 because I hate 'Wonderful Christmas Time' so much...but everyone is allowed a mis-step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment on Paul (about 'Wonderful Christmas Time') is funny because I think part of the reason I have John at #3 (and not #2) is because of 'Give Peace a Chance'. I like the song at the beginning, but by the end I feel like punching someone. I'm not sure why, but it happens every time...

    ReplyDelete