Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Top 13…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Trumpeter Elmer A. Snow (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 17, 1876, at Rosebud Creek, Montana. His citation reads:

Bravery in action; was wounded in both arms.

Chief Electrician William E. Snyder (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 4, 1910, on board the U.S.S. Birmingham. His citation reads:

Serving on board the U.S.S. Birmingham, for extraordinary heroism, rescuing G.H. Kephart seaman, from drowning at Hampton Roads, Va., 4 January 1910.

Private First Class William A. Soderman (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 17, 1944, near Rocherath, Belgium. His citation reads:

Armed with a bazooka, he defended a key road junction near Rocherath, Belgium, on 17 December 1944, during the German Ardennes counteroffensive. After a heavy artillery barrage had wounded and forced the withdrawal of his assistant, he heard enemy tanks approaching the position where he calmly waited in the gathering darkness of early evening until the 5 Mark V tanks which made up the hostile force were within pointblank range. He then stood up, completely disregarding the firepower that could be brought to bear upon him, and launched a rocket into the lead tank, setting it afire and forcing its crew to abandon it as the other tanks pressed on before Pfc. Soderman could reload. The daring bazookaman remained at his post all night under severe artillery, mortar, and machinegun fire, awaiting the next onslaught, which was made shortly after dawn by 5 more tanks Running along a ditch to meet them, he reached an advantageous point and there leaped to the road in full view of the tank gunners, deliberately aimed his weapon and disabled the lead tank. The other vehicles, thwarted by a deep ditch in their attempt to go around the crippled machine, withdrew. While returning to his post Pfc. Soderman, braving heavy fire to attack an enemy infantry platoon from close range, killed at least 3 Germans and wounded several others with a round from his bazooka. By this time, enemy pressure had made Company K's position untenable. Orders were issued for withdrawal to an assembly area, where Pfc. Soderman was located when he once more heard enemy tanks approaching. Knowing that elements of the company had not completed their disengaging maneuver and were consequently extremely vulnerable to an armored attack, he hurried from his comparatively safe position to meet the tanks. Once more he disabled the lead tank with a single rocket, his last; but before he could reach cover, machinegun bullets from the tank ripped into his right shoulder. Unarmed and seriously wounded he dragged himself along a ditch to the American lines and was evacuated. Through his unfaltering courage against overwhelming odds, Pfc. Soderman contributed in great measure to the defense of Rocherath, exhibiting to a superlative degree the intrepidity and heroism with which American soldiers met and smashed the savage power of the last great German offensive.


Help Team I’m just sayin… in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s

To donate to me: Click Here.

To join team I’m just sayin…: Click Here.


Having not grown up a USC football fan, this was a little hard… so if my friends Danny (yes, that Danny), Cory or Ashley have different ideas on who belongs on the list (or the order of the list), so be it. Still, I have watched a lot of USC football games, so I feel like this is a pretty good list.


The I'm just sayin… Countdown May List of the Day


Top 13 USC Football Players of All-Time

13   Brandon Bennett   1991-1994; 2,983 yds Rushing (26 TD), 968 yds Receiving (2 TD)   Running back when the Revolutionary War Heroes entered the SEC.

12   Brad Edwards   1985-1987; 10 Ints (1 TD)   A great DB who played a big part one of the best USC teams (at least one of the best "Pre-Spurrier" teams).

11   Steve Taneyhill   1992-1995; 8,555 yds Passing (61 TD), 60.1 comp %   I wasn't a fan of his long hair or how he acted with his first coach… but he sure put up some pretty good numbers. And he got the first Bowl Game "W" in USC history.

10   Duce Staley   1995-1996; 1,852 yds Rushing (17 TD), 489 yds Receiving (2 TD)   No telling how great his numbers would have been had he been there 4 years and not just 2.

9   Stephon Gilmore   2009-2011; 181 tkls (15 for a loss, 7 sacks), 7 Ints, 1 TD, 23 Passes Defended, 2 Fumbles Recovered, 4 Forced Fumbles   He also returned some punts/kicks and played a handful of plays on offense.

8   John Abraham   1996-1999; 23.5 sacks   He was better than the teams he played on…

7   Marcus Lattimore   2010-2012; 2,677 yds Rushing (38 TD), 767 yds Receiving (3 TD)   Had it not been for injuries, he could very well be #1 on this list. He was that good.

6   Harold Green   1986-1989; 3,005 yds Rushing (31 TD), 857 yds Receiving (2 TD)  

5   Robert Brooks   1988-1991; 2,211 yds Receiving (19 TD), 1,754 Kick Ret yds (1 TD)  

4   Jadeveon Clowney   2011-2013; 130 tkls (47 tkls for loss, 24 sacks), 7 Passes Defended, 1 Fumble Recovery, 9 Forced Fumbles   You could make a case for him being higher on the list.

3   Sterling Sharpe   1983-1987 (redshirted 1984); 2,497 yds Receiving (17 TD), 205 yds Rushing (5 TD), 876 Kick Ret yds (1 TD), 369 Punt Ret yds (1 TD)   One heck of a WR.

2   Connor Shaw   2010-2013; 6,074 yds Passing (56 TD), 65.5 Comp%, 1,683 yds Rushing (17 TD), 9 yds Receivind (1 TD)   This guy was just a flat out winner. I'm not saying he is the greatest QB of all time or anything like that… I'm just saying he did what it took to win. And he did a lot of winning while in college.

1   George Rogers   1977-1980; 5,091 yds Rushing (31), 389 yds Receiving (2 TD)   I don't think it's a huge shock that the man with the Heisman Trophy is #1 on this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment