Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, May 1, 2015

Countdown May Begins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Oiler Frank Elmer Smith (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 13 and 20-22, 1900, in China. His citation reads:

In action with the relief expedition of the Allied Forces in China during the battles of 13, 20, 21, and 22 June 1900. Throughout this period and in the presence of the enemy, Smith distinguished himself by meritorlous conduct.

Lieutenant Colonel Fred E. Smith (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 29, 1918, near Binarville, France. His citation reads:

When communication from the forward regimental post of command to the battalion leading the advance had been interrupted temporarily by the infiltration of small parties of the enemy armed with machineguns, Lt. Col. Smith personally led a party of 2 other officers and 10 soldiers, and went forward to reestablish runner posts and carry ammunition to the front line. The guide became confused and the party strayed to the left flank beyond the outposts of supporting troops, suddenly coming under fire from a group of enemy machineguns only 50 yards away. Shouting to the other members of his party to take cover this officer, in disregard of his danger, drew his pistol and opened fire on the German guncrew. About this time he fell, severely wounded in the side, but regaining his footing, he continued to fire on the enemy until most of the men in his party were out of danger. Refusing first-aid treatment he then made his way in plain view of the enemy to a handgrenade dump and returned under continued heavy machinegun fire for the purpose of making another attack on the enemy emplacements. As he was attempting to ascertain the exact location of the nearest nest, he again fell, mortally wounded.

Private Furman L. Smith (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 31, 1944, near Lanuvio, Italy. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. In its attack on a strong point, an infantry company was held up by intense enemy fire. The group to which Pvt. Smith belonged was far in the lead when attacked by a force of 80 Germans. The squad leader and 1 other man were seriously wounded and other members of the group withdrew to the company position, but Pvt. Smith refused to leave his wounded comrades. He placed them in the shelter of shell craters and then alone faced a strong enemy counterattack, temporarily checking it by his accurate rifle fire at close range, killing and wounding many of the foe. Against overwhelming odds, he stood his ground until shot down and killed, rifle in hand.


Help Team I’m just sayin… in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s

To donate to me: Click Here.

To join team I’m just sayin…: Click Here.


Just a reminder of how this is going to go… Each day I will countdown something random, with the number of spots on the list determined by the date. Since today is May 1st, there’s just one spot on the countdown.


The I'm just sayin… Countdown May List of the Day


Top Soccer Player of All-Time

1   Pele   He won the FIFA World Cup 3 times with Brazil (1958, 1962 and 1970). He has a ton of individual awards… click the link to see all of them. Some include "Athlete of the Century" (elected by International Olympic Committee in 1999); FIFA "Player of the Century" (2000); FIFA World Cup All-Time Team (1994); Wold Team of the 20th Century (1998); FIFA World Cup Dream Team (2002)   There are a lot of great soccer players… but none match up to Pele.

1 comment:

  1. Hard to argue with that choice, I'd go with Pele too. Though if you did this list in a few years, Lionel Messi may have to be seriously considered if he keeps playing well (though he needs to lead Argentina to at least one World Cup title to have any realistic shot at unseating Pele).

    ReplyDelete