Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, February 16, 2015

Join me...

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Corporal Irwin Shepard (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 20, 1863, at Knoxville, Tennessee. His citation reads:

Having voluntarily accompanied a small party to destroy buildings within the enemy's lines, whence sharpshooters had been firing, disregarded an order to retire, remained and completed the firing of the buildings, thus insuring their total destruction; this at the imminent risk of his life from the fire of the advancing enemy.

Ordinary Seaman Louis C. Shepard (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 15, 1865, on board the U.S.S. Wabash. His citation reads:

Served as seaman on board the U.S.S. Wabash in the assault on Fort Fisher, 15 January 1865. Advancing gallantly through severe enemy fire while armed only with a revolver and cutlass which made it impossible to return the fire at that range, Shepard succeeded in reaching the angle of the fort and in going on, to be one of the few who entered the fort. When the rest of the body of men to his rear were forced to retreat under a devastating fire, he was forced to withdraw through lack of support and to seek the shelter of one of the mounds near the stockade from which point he succeeded in regaining the safety of his ship.

Corporal Warren J. Shepherd (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 1, 1898, at El Caney, Cuba. His citation reads:

Gallantly assisted in the rescue of the wounded from in front of the lines under heavy fire from the enemy.


Congrats to my big brother Sonny for being elected Teacher of the Year at his school. I’m going to be nice today, and just say congrats for a job well done. I won’t say anything about questioning how the votes were counted (Is it true there were more votes than voters?) or how many teachers were eligible for the award (Is it true every other teacher had previously won the award, so Sonny was the only one on the ballot?”)… nope, I’m not going to say anything negative here. I’m just going to say that this is a great thing that Sonny should be proud of (I know me and Teresa Lynn are proud of him)… Of course, Mom and Dad are also proud of him (then again, Sonny could literally just take a crap and Mom and Dad would be proud).


Of course, winning Teacher of the Year is something Sonny (and all of the family) is going to want to remember. Which leads me to announce that I have decided to put together a team for the 2015 Walk to End Alzheimer’s. I am asking for you to support me. In a perfect world, all of you will donate and some (a lot) of you would join my team and ask others to donate. The website makes you enter a “Goal”, so I set my team goal at $2,000… but in truth if I raise $2,000 then I’ll raise my goal to $3,000… and if I reach that, it’ll go up and up and up and up until it’s up to $1 million.




 Right now, you’ll notice that I have raised the most money and my team has raised the most money. I would like for my team to stay on top. Now… part of why I’m on top right now is that not many people have started raising money yet. Heck, I don’t usually start until about a month or so before the Walk… but I decided to start early this year. The walk is going to be at 10:00am on Saturday, September 19, 2015 at Riverfront Park. You have time to give… but you also have time to give more than once… or to join and help raise money. As always, I thank you. To donate to me, you can go here. To join team I’m just sayin…, you can go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment