Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, January 7, 2015

As cool as the other side of the pillow…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Chief Bugler Charles Schorn (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 8, 1865, at Appomattox, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag of the Sumter Flying Artillery (C.S.A.).

Corporal Julius Schou (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions during 1870, during the Sioux Campaign. His citation reads:

Carried dispatches to Fort Buford.

First Lieutenant Edward R. Schowalter, Jr. (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 14, 1952, near Kumhwa, Korea. His citation reads:

1st Lt. Schowalter, commanding, Company A, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and indomitable courage above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. Committed to attack and occupy a key-approach to the primary objective, the 1st Platoon of his company came under heavy vicious small-arms, grenade, and mortar fire within 50 yards of the enemy-held strongpoint, halting the advance and inflicting several casualties. The 2d Platoon moved up in support at this juncture, and although wounded, 1st Lt. Schowalter continued to spearhead the assault. Nearing the objective he was severely wounded by a grenade fragment but, refusing medical aid, he led his men into the trenches and began routing the enemy from the bunkers with grenades. Suddenly from a burst of fire from a hidden cove off the trench he was again wounded. Although suffering from his wounds, he refused to relinquish command and continued issuing orders and encouraging his men until the commanding ground was secured and then he was evacuated. 1st Lt. Schowalter's unflinching courage, extraordinary heroism, and inspirational leadership reflect the highest credit upon himself and are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service.


RIP Stuart Scott. I don’t watch ESPN as much as I used to. I’ll watch games, but I don’t have time to watch SportsCenter and other shows like I did in the past. When it comes to SportsCenter, my memories are of the teams of Dan Patrick/Keith Olbermann and Stuart Scott/Rich Eisen. Stuart Scott started at ESPN in 1993 when I was a freshman at James Island High School… during a time when I watched a lot of ESPN (and ESPN2). I don’t look at Stuart Scott as being special due to race (though maybe he is)… I look at him as being special in a generational way. The other guys were great, don’t get me wrong, but Stuart got on air and talked like me and my friends. There are those who have come after him who are the same way… but Stuart did it when nobody else was. Stuart did it when people weren’t supposed to talk “that way” on air. Not everyone liked him. It took some people time to get used to him… others never did, but he never changed. He was one of the best and he will be missed. Below are a couple of videos I found that I thought would be good to share…







I wanted to say something about the newest Baseball Hall of Fame class, but I think I’ll save that for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment