Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, August 28, 2014

Caribbean Chill

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Anund C. Roark (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 16, 1968, at Kontum Province, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Sgt. Roark distinguished himself by extraordinary gallantry while serving with Company C. Sgt. Roark was the point squad leader of a small force which had the mission of rescuing 11 men in a hilltop observation post under heavy attack by a company-size force, approximately 1,000 meters from the battalion perimeter. As lead elements of the relief force reached the besieged observation post, intense automatic weapons fire from enemy occupied bunkers halted their movement. Without hesitation, Sgt. Roark maneuvered his squad, repeatedly exposing himself to withering enemy fire to hurl grenades and direct the fire of his squad to gain fire superiority and cover the withdrawal of the outpost and evacuation of its casualties. Frustrated in their effort to overrun the position, the enemy swept the hilltop with small arms and volleys of grenades. Seeing a grenade land in the midst of his men, Sgt. Roark, with complete disregard for his safety, hurled himself upon the grenade, absorbing its blast with his body. Sgt. Roark's magnificent leadership and dauntless courage saved the lives of many of his comrades and were the inspiration for the successful relief of the outpost. His actions which culminated in the supreme sacrifice of his life were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.

First Lieutenant George S. Robb (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 29-30, 1918, near Sechault, France. His citation reads:

While leading his platoon in the assault 1st Lt. Robb was severely wounded by machinegun fire, but rather than go to the rear for proper treatment he remained with his platoon until ordered to the dressing station by his commanding officer. Returning within 45 minutes, he remained on duty throughout the entire night, inspecting his lines and establishing outposts. Early the next morning he was again wounded, once again displaying his remarkable devotion to duty by remaining in command of his platoon. Later the same day a bursting shell added 2 more wounds, the same shell killing his commanding officer and 2 officers of his company. He then assumed command of the company and organized its position in the trenches. Displaying wonderful courage and tenacity at the critical times, he was the only officer of his battalion who advanced beyond the town, and by clearing machinegun and sniping posts contributed largely to the aid of his battalion in holding their objective. His example of bravery and fortitude and his eagerness to continue with his mission despite severe wounds set before the enlisted men of his command a most wonderful standard of morale and self-sacrifice.

Second Lieutenant Augustus I. Robbins (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 12, 1864, at Spotsylvania, Virginia. His citation reads:

While voluntarily serving as a staff officer successfully withdrew a regiment across and around a severely exposed position to the rest of the command; was severely wounded.


I told you a couple of weeks ago about a new book that I was going to read… Now I’m here to tell you it was as great as I thought it would be. There is a character in the book (“Greg”) who was named after me (true story). I don’t want to talk too much about the book, because I want you to buy it and read it. I will say that, like the first book in the series, it is a “quick” read. The chapters are short (which is something I love… I’m not sure I can fully explain just how much I love that) and there aren’t any “slow” parts to the book. It’s a great, full story without a bunch of fluff that can drag a book down. Here is the description from the amazon page:

The Battle of Brimstone Hill in 1782 discloses a once secret clandestine ocean escape route for the embattled fortress. British troops holding the fort make a danger-filled dash to remove their treasure from the hands of the invading French. More than 230 years later, this long forgotten underground hideaway is now inhabited by modern day pirates. The Caribbean Sea becomes the backdrop of an impending mass murder and theft, the size of which will stagger the world. Vacationing after their ordeal in the Amazon, Dane Skoglund and Hugo Winsor along with their cohorts stumble across the deadly plans and are drawn unwillingly into the fray. This sinister plot begins in the dusty Middle East and spreads to the beautiful islands of St. Maarten and St. Kitts. Their vacation becomes a nightmare, threatening the lives of Dane, Hugo and their party, forcing them into action to save their friends and thwart pirates trying to orchestrate the largest theft in history.

You can purchase Caribbean Chill at Amazon.com or Barnes&Noble.com. If you somehow forgot to read the first book of the series (Alpha Threat), you can purchase it Amazon.com or Barnes&Noble.com. I recommend you buy a couple… just in case you lose one.

I will tell you that this “Greg” character in the book is very much like me with a couple of exceptions. Read the book and then email me what you think those exceptions are. I’m sure a lot of these slight differences can be ironed out before this book becomes a movie. The important thing to remember here is that I made it into the book. Suck it, Sonny.

The other night when I was rocking Daniel before bed, he looked me in the eyes and said, “Daddy, you my bestest buddy”. So I spanked him and yelled, “I’m not here to be your buddy! I am here to make you a man and keep you from getting your butt kicked in school!” After he stopped crying, I told him I was just kidding and that he’s a sweet boy… and that he gets that from me, not his momma.

Speaking of Daniel, a few weeks ago I was in my chair and I called his name. Before I go on, you need to know that I have been working on having him say “Yes, sir” to me when I call him. So, I called his name and it went something like this.

Me: “Daniel!”

Daniel: “What!”

Me: “WHAT!? Daniel!”

Daniel: “What!!”

Me: “What country are you from?!”

Daniel: “What?”

Me: “’What’ ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in ‘What’?!”

Daniel: “What?”

Me: “English, motherf***er! Do you speak it?!”

Daniel: “Yes.”

Me: “Then you know what I'm saying”.

Daniel: “Yes”.

Me: “Daniel”

Daniel: “What?”

Me: “Say ‘what’ again! Say ‘what’ again! I dare you! I double-dare you, motherf***er! Say ‘what’ one more g**damn time!”

Daniel (sticking lower lip out)

Me: “I’ll let you try one more time…”

Me: “Daniel”

Daniel: “Yes, sir!”


After a couple weeks of this, we have now gotten to this:

Me: “Daniel!”

Daniel: “What!”

Me… sitting… looking at Daniel (or just sitting)

Daniel (with lower lip sticking out): “Let’s try again”.

Me: “Daniel”

Daniel: “Yes, sir!”


Don’t forget to donate here to my 2014 Walk to End Alzheimer’s!!!! Remember, give early and often!!!!!


Picture Thursday


Daniel after practice

Daniel with a new "friend" (along with a little cut-out "friend" that Susie gave him)

Something from out backyard

I woke up around 1:30 the other night.  I saw Scooby at the foot of the bed.  I took this picture and he didn't move.  I got up and went to him... he was sleeping.  So I pushed him off the stool.  Hahahahaha... just kidding.  I gave him a hug and let him get in bed with us.

Ready for practice



Waiting for Coach Cory (standing to the left of the girl in the pink shirt) to tell him what to do




No comments:

Post a Comment