Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, July 24, 2014

RIP James Garner

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Axel H. Reed (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 19, 1863 at Chickamauga, Georgia AND November 25, 1863, at Missionary Ridge, Tennessee. His citation reads:

While in arrest at Chickamauga, Ga., left his place in the rear and voluntarily went to the line of battle, secured a rifle, and fought gallantly during the 2_day battle; was released from arrest in recognition of his bravery. At Missionary Ridge commanded his company and gallantly led it, being among the first to enter the enemy's works; was severely wounded, losing an arm, but declined a discharge and remained in active service to the end of the war.

Bugler Charles W. Reed (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 2, 1863, at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. His citation reads:

Rescued his wounded captain from between the lines.

Private George W. Reed (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 21, 1864, at Weldon Railroad, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag of 24th North Carolina Volunteers (C.S.A.).


Due to my posting schedule, I’m a little late with this, but we’d like to say goodbye to actor James Garner. I didn’t know him myself, so I won’t tell you how great of a man he was… he seemed great to me, but I don’t know. I can tell you this… I thought he was one heck of an actor. He played Bret Maverick in the TV series Maverick and Jim Rockford in the TV series The Rockford Files. He was also in over 50 movies (my favorites being Maverick and The Great Escape… as well as Danny’s [yes, that Danny’s] favorite The Notebook). He will be missed…

THE NEW BOOK IS HERE!!!!!!!! Caribbean Chill, the much anticipated follow-up book to I’m just sayin…’s highly recommended Alpha Threat, is now available. Mine is on the way. I’ll let you know how it is when I’m done reading it. I can’t wait!

Speaking of things I can’t wait for… Labor Day Weekend is right around the corner! As you know, Labor Day is my favorite non-religious holiday, by a very large margin. I will most likely be packing before the end of the month. I’m usually packed and ready for the holiday weekend at least one month before we actually leave. I can’t help it… I have too much fun seeing everyone to NOT be excited. As soon as I remember how I did it, I’ll put the countdown clock back up.

I know you’ve been waiting for some “deeper” thoughts from me, but those seem to take a little longer to type and time has been short around here lately. I’ll try to get something on here tomorrow about at least one of the topics I listed last week. Until then, let me remind you that I am not without prejudice. My prejudice is not based on race, sex (male/female and/or sexual orientation), religion or age (for the most part)… Nay, my prejudice is based on things more important. Family first, then friends, then people from James Island, then people from Summerville/Knightsville, then people from the Lowcountry, then people from South Carolina, then people from Georgia/North Carolina, then people from Dixie, then people from the mid-west, then people from the west (excluding California), then people from the United Kingdom, then people from Mexico, then people from South America, then people from Canada, then people from California, then people from the north, then hippies… I think you get my point. Of course, as many of you know, people within these groups are ranked (sometimes literally) and can sometimes move from one group to the next (so some friends may be above some family and whatnot). My point is that I’m not one of these people who will tell you that I am not prejudice. I am… and I’ve noticed that I am (some of what I listed was kind of a joke, but not much). Anyway, I don’t know if any of this will play a role in my views that I’ll start posting tomorrow… but I’m sure it plays some kind of role. I guess the real question is how much of a role do these prejudices play.


Picture Thursday
Our pictures today are going to be of Mary Ruth... pre-braces.  All of these are from the week MR got to spend with Teresa Lynn and Brent (and the girls)...











No comments:

Post a Comment