Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, July 10, 2014

Random pics…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Charles W. Ray (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 19, 1899, near San Isidro, Luzon, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

Most distinguished gallantry in action. Captured a bridge with the detachment he commanded and held it against a superior force of the enemy, thereby enabling an army to come up and cross.

Hospital Corpsman Second Class David Robert Ray (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 19, 1969, in Quang Nam Province, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a HC2c. with Battery D, 2d Battalion, at Phu Loc 6, near An Hoa. During the early morning hours, an estimated battalion-sized enemy force launched a determined assault against the battery's position, and succeeded in effecting a penetration of the barbed-wire perimeter. The initial burst of enemy fire caused numerous casualties among the marines who had immediately manned their howitzers during the rocket and mortar attack. Undaunted by the intense hostile fire, HC2c. Ray moved from parapet to parapet, rendering emergency medical treatment to the wounded. Although seriously wounded himself while administering first aid to a marine casualty, he refused medical aid and continued his lifesaving efforts. While he was bandaging and attempting to comfort another wounded marine, HC2c. Ray was forced to battle 2 enemy soldiers who attacked his position, personally killing 1 and wounding the other. Rapidly losing his strength as a result of his severe wounds, he nonetheless managed to move through the hail of enemy fire to other casualties. Once again, he was faced with the intense fire of oncoming enemy troops and, despite the grave personal danger and insurmountable odds, succeeded in treating the wounded and holding off the enemy until he ran out of ammunition, at which time he sustained fatal wounds. HC2c. Ray's final act of heroism was to protect the patient he was treating. He threw himself upon the wounded marine, thus saving the man's life when an enemy grenade exploded nearby. By his determined and persevering actions, courageous spirit, and selfless devotion to the welfare of his marine comrades, HC2c. Ray served to inspire the men of Battery D to heroic efforts in defeating the enemy. His conduct throughout was in keeping with the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

1st Lieutenant Ronald Eric Ray (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 19, 1966, in the la Drang Valley, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Capt. Ray distinguished himself while serving as a platoon leader with Company A. When 1 of his ambush patrols was attacked by an estimated reinforced Viet Cong company, Capt. Ray organized a reaction force and quickly moved through 2 kilometers of mountainous jungle terrain to the contact area. After breaking through the hostile lines to reach the beleaguered patrol, Capt. Ray began directing the reinforcement of the site. When an enemy position pinned down 3 of his men with a heavy volume of automatic weapons fire, he silenced the emplacement with a grenade and killed 4 Viet Cong with his rifle fire. As medics were moving a casualty toward a sheltered position, they began receiving intense hostile fire. While directing suppressive fire on the enemy position, Capt. Ray moved close enough to silence the enemy with a grenade. A few moments later Capt. Ray saw an enemy grenade land, unnoticed, near 2 of his men. Without hesitation or regard for his safety he dove between the grenade and the men, thus shielding them from the explosion while receiving wounds in his exposed feet and legs. He immediately sustained additional wounds in his legs from an enemy machinegun, but nevertheless he silenced the emplacement with another grenade. Although suffering great pain from his wounds, Capt. Ray continued to direct his men, providing the outstanding courage and leadership they vitally needed, and prevented their annihilation by successfully leading them from their surrounded position. Only after assuring that his platoon was no longer in immediate danger did he allow himself to be evacuated for medical treatment. By his gallantry at the risk of his life in the highest traditions of the military service, Capt. Ray has reflected great credit on himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.


Well it looks like another week where I’m not going to have time to talk about everything I want to talk about. Alas… maybe next week. The good news, however, is that the Medal of Honor site I use is back up… so we’ve got that going for us, which is nice.

My cousin Susan had a chance to see me last night. I’m sure it was the highlight of her summer. We had a great time going out to eat with Uncle George and Aunt Yvonne and Mom and Dad (and Susan). I give Susan a hard time, but she did show me some pretty cool pictures from her vacation in California… which was nice, because the odds of me going to California are about as good as the chances of me joining the Westboro Baptist Cult. I will say I have entertained the thought of maybe going to San Diego someday… but unless it moves a lot closer (or gas prices get a lot cheaper), I doubt it will ever happen.

Auditors are in my office this week and next week. Pray they don’t pull my files. I’m 99% sure I have been doing things the right way and my stuff is ok… but I’d rather not take the chance that I’m wrong.

Looks like Brazil studied France’s WWII defense while preparing for their World Cup match against Germany. Honestly, you probably have to go back that far to find the last time Germany scored that much (and that fast). I do feel bad for Brazil… This is one huge advantage the US players have. Once the US got knocked out, our guys were able to come back to a country where it’s not that hard to “get away” from the World Cup (if they wanted). Not so much in Brazil… where, A. The World Cup is being played and B. 99% of their citizens LOVE futbol (the other 1% are from America).


Picture Thursday


I love when MR makes me laugh... here she is playing with some crab claws


A nice pic of me and The Kids

Mary Ruth giving Da a kiss....

Another pic of me with Mary Ruth and The Twins

MR and The Wife

She's goofy

Daniel and Scooby sleeping on my bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment