Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, May 29, 2014

We’re in the Top 40…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Corporal Thomas Powers (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 20, 1869, at Chiricahua Mountains, Arizona. His citation reads:

Gallantry in action.

Corporal Wesley J. Powers (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 3, 1865, at Oostanaula, Georgia. His citation reads:

Voluntarily swam the river under heavy fire and secured a ferryboat, by means of which the command crossed.

First Lieutenant Robert Leslie Poxon (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 2, 1969, in Tay Ninh Province, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. 1st Lt. Poxon, Armor, Troop B, distinguished himself while serving as a platoon leader on a reconnaissance mission. Landing by helicopter in an area suspected of being occupied by the enemy, the platoon came under intense fire from enemy soldiers in concealed positions and fortifications around the landing zone. A soldier fell, hit by the first burst of fire. 1st Lt. Poxon dashed to his aid, drawing the majority of the enemy fire as he crossed 20 meters of open ground. The fallen soldier was beyond help and 1st Lt. Poxon was seriously and painfully wounded. 1st Lt. Poxon, with indomitable courage, refused medical aid and evacuation and turned his attention to seizing the initiative from the enemy. With sure instinct he marked a central enemy bunker as the key to success. Quickly instructing his men to concentrate their fire on the bunker, and in spite of his wound, 1st Lt. Poxon crawled toward the bunker, readied a hand grenade and charged. He was hit again but continued his assault. After succeeding in silencing the enemy guns in the bunker he was struck once again by enemy fire and fell, mortally wounded. 1st Lt. Poxon's comrades followed their leader, pressed the attack and drove the enemy from their positions. 1st Lt. Poxon's gallantry, indomitable will, and courage are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.


The I’m just sayin… Top 747 TV Shows of All-Time


Below we will have the rank, show, and years that the show ran (and sometimes any notes/thoughts I might have).


39   Bat Masterson   1958-1961   A good ol' Western…

38   Game of Thrones   2011-present   My buddy Cory told me this was a good show, so I gave it a shot. Wow! I really like it. Once you get past the fact that there are dragons in it, it's pretty good. Some people think there's a little too much nudity and violence in this show… but who am I to judge the culture of the people in the show? Even with the violence and nudity, The Wife likes the show (even if she might not admit it)... so you know it must be good.

37   The Shield   2002-2008   I completely missed this show when it was on air. I watched it on Netflix to prepare for this list and WOW! Man this is a great show. If you haven't seen it, check it out.

36   Arrested Development   2003-2006   Some website called this the funniest show of all time. That's just dumb… but this IS a very funny show…

35   All in the Family   1971-1979   There is no way this show would be on mainstream TV these days. Our society is, sadly, too "sensitive" and networks are too worried about offending people to ever air this type of comedy gold. This is the kind of show that embraced stereotypes and got people to laugh at them. The #88 show on our list (The Jeffersons) was a spin-off of this show. If you don't want to watch every episode (and I don't know why you wouldn't), you should at least look on YouTube for scenes with Archie Bunker and George Jefferson (and Archie with Sammy Davis, Jr.). If you can watch those and not laugh, then I pray God decides to give you a sense of humor before you die.

34   The Carol Burnett Show   1967-1978   This is another show that I don't think you can watch without laughing. It just can't be done. Sad? Watch this show and you'll laugh. It's possible there are people as funny as Carol Burnett, but none are funnier than her.

33   The Mickey Mouse Club   1955-1959, 1977-1979, 1989-1996   The original was probably the best. A lot of stars came out of this club… at the end of the day Justin Timerlake may end up being the biggest of them all.

32   The Bernie Mac Show   2001-2006   The late great Bernie Mac. This might be a show that a lot of people don't know about… but it is easily a Top 40 show.

32   Murder, She Wrote   1984-1996   I remember watching this at MaMa and Da's house when I was growing up. Angela Lansbury is simply perfect in this show. Of course, she's pretty great in any show… but she's perfect in this one.

31   Designing Women   1986-1993   This is a show I'd watch with Mom and Dad. It's like a younger version of the Golden Girls. Not quite as funny… but still funny in its own rights.

30   Boy Meets World   1993-2000   I would watch marathons of this in college. You could learn a lot from this show…

29   ALF   1986-1990   My favorite show while it was on air. My Uncle Keith could sound just like ALF (maybe still can… I'll have to see the next time I'm with him).

28   I Love Lucy   1951-1957   Who didn't love Lucy? I loved her enough to name my first born dog after her…

27   Matlock   1986-1992   A great Southern lawyer who loved hot dogs, music and wasn't afraid to call a jackass a jackass.

26   In the Heat of the Night   1988-1995   Another Carroll O'Connor show… He was one of the best.


Picture Thursday


The first State Championship ring.  Getting this made me realize that winning is as addictive as any drug.

Of the two State Championships we won, this was the best.  I say that even knowing that I was on the bench for this one, but a starter on the second one.  Still, there were zero expectations heading into this season.  This team was able to do something that no other JI baseball team had done.  Of everyone on this team, I probably did the least to help earn this championship (I was probably the 5th string 2nd baseman, which pretty much means I was to be the first guy off the bench in a fight because it would be ok for me to get thrown out of the game)... but no one on this ever pointed this out to me.  We were a team, from the star players all the way down to the last guys on the bench.  I can't say enough great things about this team. 

Uncle George playing with Mary Ruth, Daniel and Susie...


I couldn't watch for too long without getting dizzy

He got up there all by himself... and after this picture was taken, he realized he didn't know how to get down.

Daddy's sweet girl

He went the whole way all on his own


He was using his feet... but still, I thought it was pretty impressive

My cousin Louis and I would play with this when Granny would bring us to this park.  What boy doesn't like moving sand from one spot to another?


No comments:

Post a Comment