Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, May 7, 2014

KC’s Top 5

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Jackson Charles Pharris (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 7, 1941, at Pearl Harbor, Territory of Hawaii. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while attached to the U.S.S. California during the surprise enemy Japanese aerial attack on Pearl Harbor, Territory of Hawaii, 7 December 1941. In charge of the ordnance repair party on the third deck when the first Japanese torpedo struck almost directly under his station, Lt. (then Gunner) Pharris was stunned and severely injured by the concussion which hurled him to the overhead and back to the deck. Quickly recovering, he acted on his own initiative to set up a hand-supply ammunition train for the antiaircraft guns. With water and oil rushing in where the port bulkhead had been torn up from the deck, with many of the remaining crewmembers overcome by oil fumes, and the ship without power and listing heavily to port as a result of a second torpedo hit, Lt. Pharris ordered the shipfitters to counterflood. Twice rendered unconscious by the nauseous fumes and handicapped by his painful injuries, he persisted in his desperate efforts to speed up the supply of ammunition and at the same time repeatedly risked his life to enter flooding compartments and drag to safety unconscious shipmates who were gradually being submerged in oil. By his inspiring leadership, his valiant efforts and his extreme loyalty to his ship and her crew, he saved many of his shipmates from death and was largely responsible for keeping the California in action during the attack. His heroic conduct throughout this first eventful engagement of World War 11 reflects the highest credit upon Lt. Pharris and enhances the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

Colonel Charles E. Phelps (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 8, 1864, at Laurel Hill, Virginia. His citation reads:

Rode to the head of the assaulting column, then much broken by severe losses and faltering under the close fire of artillery, placed himself conspicuously in front of the troops, and gallantly rallied and led them to within a few feet of the enemy's works, where he was severely wounded and captured.

Private Wesley Phelps (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 4, 1944, on Peleliu Island, Palau Group. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with the 3d Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Peleliu Island, Palau Group, during a savage attack on the night of 4 October 1944. Stationed with another marine in an advanced position when a Japanese handgrenade landed in his foxhole Pfc. Phelps instantly shouted a warning to his comrade and rolled over on the deadly bomb, absorbing with his own body the full, shattering Impact of the exploding charge. Courageous and indomitable, Pfc. Phelps fearlessly gave his life that another might be spared serious injury, and his great valor and heroic devotion to duty in the face of certain death reflect the highest credit upon himself and the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.


I went to the doctor last week. He said my labs looked good and all of my levels are in the normal range. Then he said I need to lose weight. No problem, I said. We then talked about various things I could change in my eating habits to help me lose this weight. He started by saying I don’t need to worry about exercising… “You can’t exercise enough to lose the amount of weight you need to lose”. Looking back, I probably should have been insulted… but, hell, I was so happy to hear those words that I didn’t really care what he said. To be fair, I think he was telling me not to stress over exercising right now. Right now we’re going to focus on eating habits… then we’ll tackle exercise. Anyway, our talk went a little like this…

Doctor: “Right now you are healthy, but if you don’t lose this weight you are going to start having problems down the line”.

Me: “Ok”.

Doctor: “You need to eat breakfast (or have a shake) every morning, eat lunch, eat a small snack right when you get home and then eat a small dinner”.

Me: “Got it”.

Doctor: “Cut out candy and junk food”.

Me: “No problem”.

Doctor: “Cut out all bread and pasta”.

Me: (sighing) “Ok”.

Doctor: “Cut out soft drinks”.

Me: “Can do”.

Doctor: “No more Sweet Tea”.

Me: “How many years do you give me if I just stay the course?”


Our “Fan Top 5 List” today comes from my good friend KC:

5   All In The Family
4   Magnum PI
3   Friends
2   Seinfeld
1b   Georgia Championship Wrestling
1a   NWA Wrestling
1   M*A*S*H


The I’m just sayin… Top 747 TV Shows of All-Time


Below we will have the rank, show, and years that the show ran (and sometimes any notes/thoughts I might have).


514   Camelot   2011  

513   Extra   1994-present  

512   Knots Landing   1979-1993  

511   Baywatch   1989-2001  

510   Murder One   1995-1997  

509   Extreme Makeover: Home Edition   2003-present  

508   The Care Bears   1985-1988  

507   The Newlywed Game   1966-1999, 2009-present   A classic game show.

506   The Muppet Show   1976-1981  

505   That's So Raven   2003-2007  

504   Alice   1976-1985  

503   Baa Baa Black Sheep   1976-1978   I remember watching reruns of this show with Dad.

502   Rescue 911   1989-1996  

501   The Biggest Loser   2004-present  

500   The Chris Rock Show   1997-2000  

499   Nash Bridges   1996-2001  

498   Star Trek: Deep Space Nine   1993-1999  

497   The Good Wife   2009-present  

496   Sisters   1991-1996  

495   Picket Fences   1992-1996  

494   The Defenders   1961-1965  

493   Silver Spoons   1982-1986  

492   3rd Rock from the Sun   1996-2001  

491   My Secret Identity   1988-1991  

490   Party of Five   1994-2000  

No comments:

Post a Comment