Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, May 16, 2014

Jeremy’s Top 5

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Captain James Pipes (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 2, 1863, at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania AND on August 25, 1864, at Reams Station, Virginia. His citation reads:

While a sergeant and retiring with his company before the rapid advance of the enemy at Gettysburg, he and a companion stopped and carried to a place of safety a wounded and helpless comrade; in this act both he and his companion were severely wounded. A year later, at Reams Station, Va., while commanding a skirmish line, voluntarily assisted in checking a flank movement of the enemy, and while so doing was severely wounded, suffering the loss of an arm.

Sergeant George J. Pitman (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 6, 1865, at Sailors Creek, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag of the Sumter Heavy Artillery (C.S.A.).

Airman First Class William H. Pitsenbarger (US Air Force) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 11, 1966, near Cam My, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Airman First Class Pitsenbarger distinguished himself by extreme valor on 11 April 1966 near Cam My, Republic of Vietnam, while assigned as a Pararescue Crew Member, Detachment 6, 38th Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Squadron. On that date, Airman Pitsenbarger was aboard a rescue helicopter responding to a call for evacuation of casualties incurred in an ongoing firefight between elements of the United States Army's 1st Infantry Division and a sizeable enemy force approximately 35 miles east of Saigon. With complete disregard for personal safety, Airman Pitsenbarger volunteered to ride a hoist more than one hundred feet through the jungle, to the ground. On the ground, he organized and coordinated rescue efforts, cared for the wounded, prepared casualties for evacuation, and insured that the recovery operation continued in a smooth and orderly fashion. Through his personal efforts, the evacuation of the wounded was greatly expedited. As each of the nine casualties evacuated that day was recovered, Airman Pitsenbarger refused evacuation in order to get more wounded soldiers to safety. After several pick-ups, one of the two rescue helicopters involved in the evacuation was struck by heavy enemy ground fire and was forced to leave the scene for an emergency landing. Airman Pitsenbarger stayed behind on the ground to perform medical duties. Shortly thereafter, the area came under sniper and mortar fire. During a subsequent attempt to evacuate the site, American forces came under heavy assault by a large Viet Cong force. When the enemy launched the assault, the evacuation was called off and Airman Pitsenbarger took up arms with the besieged infantrymen. He courageously resisted the enemy, braving intense gunfire to gather and distribute vital ammunition to American defenders. As the battle raged on, he repeatedly exposed himself to enemy fire to care for the wounded, pull them out of the line of fire, and return fire whenever he could, during which time he was wounded three times. Despite his wounds, he valiantly fought on, simultaneously treating as many wounded as possible. In the vicious fighting that followed, the American forces suffered 80 percent casualties as their perimeter was breached, and Airman Pitsenbarger was fatally wounded. Airman Pitsenbarger exposed himself to almost certain death by staying on the ground, and perished while saving the lives of wounded infantrymen. His bravery and determination exemplify the highest professional standards and traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Air Force.


Today we remember the late De’Andre Adams, who died on this date 7 years ago after suffering injuries in a car crash earlier in the month. He was a key man off the bench during Winthrop’s historic ’06-’07 season and was probably the heart and soul of that team. All of the fans loved him… to the point that as time was running out with WU in the lead at the end of the Big South Championship game the next season, the fans started chanting DE-AN-DRE! DE-AN-DRE! DE-AN-DRE! I get goosebumps just thinking about it…

Looking forward to going out tonight with Jeremy and The Wife to see some great live comedy. It will be just like in college (except Rebecca won’t be with us… The Wife will... and we'll be going to see comedy, not going to a bar). Anyway, we wish my friend and brother (and Jeremy’s little brother) Jason Farr good luck tonight as he competes against 5 other comedians for a chance to be in a bigger show down here in June. I’m probably not explaining that right, but the point is he’s competing tonight and we hope he wins.

Our Fan Top 5 today comes from Jeremy…

5   Jeopardy

4   Cheers

3   Modern Family

2   Saved by the Bell

1   South Park


The I’m just sayin… Top 747 TV Shows of All-Time


Below we will have the rank, show, and years that the show ran (and sometimes any notes/thoughts I might have).


289   Gossip Girl   2007-2012  

288   Hot in Cleveland   2010-present  

287   The Andy Williams Show   1959-1971  

286   Man with a Camera   1958-1960  

285   Three's Company   1977-1984   I'm not sure if they could make a show like this anymore… which is ashame, because it was funny.

284   He-Man and the Masters of the Universe   1983-1985   I got the DVD's of this for Daniel… he hasn't really gotten into it yet (says it's scary… kids these days).

283   Sons of Anarchy   2008-present  

282   Kung Fu   1972-1975  

281   The Lone Ranger   1949-1957   Just a man, his horse and his indian friend…

280   Yes, Dear   2000-2006  

279   Buffy the Vampire Slayer   1997-2003  

278   Garfield and Friends   1988-1994  

277   The Wire   2002-2008   Looking back at this list, I fear this show may be underrated.

276   X-Men   1992-1997  

275   Hollywood Squares   1966–1980, 1986–1989, 1998–2004   I grew up watching the '86-'89 edition, but they're all pretty good

274   Bear in the Big Blue House   1997-2006  

273   Entourage   2004-2011   I only watched this off and on, but there is one part of an episode that makes me laugh hard… just google "Matt Damon"+"Entourage"… it's a scene that was at the end of an episode

272   Gary Unmarried   2008-2010   I thought this show was good enough to last longer

271   Fame   1982-1987  

270   Cash Cab   2005-present  

269   Family Matters   1989-1998   You never really realize what a great actor Jaleel White is until you see him in real life and then you see him playing Urkel in this show

268   The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp   1955-1961   Honestly, ever since I saw Tombstone, I have trouble watching anything about Wyatt Earp. I mean, nothing can compare to Tombstone.

267   Branded   1965-1966  

266   Cosby   1996-2000   Not bad, but I think they tried to recapture something and it didn't really work

265   Hee Haw   1969-1992  

No comments:

Post a Comment