Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, March 20, 2014

Go Shockers!!!! Let the Madness Begin!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Platoon Sergeant Mitchell Paige (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 26, 1942, on the Solomon Islands. His citation reads:

For extraordinary heroism and conspicuous gallantry in action above and beyond the call of duty while serving with a company of marines in combat against enemy Japanese forces in the Solomon Islands on 26 October 1942. When the enemy broke through the line directly in front of his position, P/Sgt. Paige, commanding a machinegun section with fearless determination, continued to direct the fire of his gunners until all his men were either killed or wounded. Alone, against the deadly hail of Japanese shells, he fought with his gun and when it was destroyed, took over another, moving from gun to gun, never ceasing his withering fire against the advancing hordes until reinforcements finally arrived. Then, forming a new line, he dauntlessly and aggressively led a bayonet charge, driving the enemy back and preventing a breakthrough in our lines. His great personal valor and unyielding devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

Private Adam Paine (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 26-27, 1874, at Canyon Blanco tributary of the Red River, Texas. His citation reads:

Rendered invaluable service to Col. R. S. Mackenzie, 4th U.S. Cavalry, during this engagement.

Musician George H. Palmer (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 20, 1861, at Lexington, Missouri. His citation reads:

Volunteered to fight in the trenches and also led a charge which resulted in the recapture of a Union hospital, together with Confederate sharpshooters then occupying the same.


Below is the Second Annual I’m just sayin… Brackett Challenge (between me, The Wife and The Kids). I won last year, but The Kids were looking pretty good after the first round if my memory is correct. I don’t want to jump the gun here, but I’m picking my good friend (my words, not his) Coach Gregg Marshall and his Wichita State Shockers to win it all. Will it happen? I don’t know. There are a lot of good teams in the tournament and anything could happen… but I don’t see a team out there that I’d pick to beat the Shockers.

I’m just sayin… Brackett Challenge


Up first we have Daniel... like most young men, he has way too much faith in the underdog.  If Wofford wins it all, let it be known that there was someone in this world who believed in them.  Before I forget, while I wrote the picks down, each person made their own picks.  I would call out the match-up and they would tell me who they thought would win.  The only game I picked for The Kids was the UVA/Coastal game.  I didn't want to risk having one (or more) of The Kids picking Coastal (thus causing me to love them less). I let The Wife pick that game on her own because I figured she would make the right pick (which she did).

Susie had her share of upsets, yet has Florida winning it all (not a bad pick on her part).

Mary Ruth was very stressed while making her picks, so I didn't have the heart to tell her that there's no way Pitt would be able to beat American in the championship game.  Who knows, though, maybe she'll get the last laugh.

I didn't make fun of The Kids for their picks because they are children who don't know any better... and while The Wife isn't a die-hard basketball fan, she should know better than to pick the #16 and #15 seeds in the West region to win their first round games.  Still, her final picks aren't all that bad (though I think she only picked Florida because she heard me tell Susie what a good pick that was)

Here we have mine.  I must be getting old because I find myself picking fewer and fewer upsets.  I admit I have seen very few of these teams play this year (which might be a good thing).  I was asked this past Sunday morning (before the brackets were announced) who I thought would make the Final Four.  I said Wichita State, Louisville, Duke and Michigan State... Well, 3 of those teams are in the same region.  If Wichita State wins it all (as I think they will), they are going to have to earn it.  I don't think Coach Marshall would want it any other way.


Picture Thursday

Today we are going to take a look at some of the things one might see when walking around our church...
 
Hey look!  Bottom right corner is a picture of ME!

The top of the little head you see belongs to Mom

Granny's class is in room 128

Here is one brick outside the front of the church in honor of Granny

Here is the other


No comments:

Post a Comment