Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, February 20, 2014

There was ice last week?

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Chief Machinist’s Mate Francis Edward Ormsbee, Jr. (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 25, 1918, while attached to the Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Florida. His citation reads:

For extraordinary heroism while attached to the Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Fla., on 25 September 1918. While flying with Ens. J. A. Jova, Ormsbee saw a plane go into a tailspin and crash about three-quarters of a mile to the right. Having landed near by, Ormsbee lost no time in going overboard and made for the wreck, which was all under water except the 2 wing tips. He succeeded in partially extricating the gunner so that his head wa0dGjWE3Djkoa6eg5RlF42 aAtl3yZvhand held him in this position until the speedboat arrived. Ormsbee then made a number of desperate attempts to rescue the pilot, diving into the midst of the tangled wreckage although cut about the hands, but was too late to save his life.

Private Harry Westley Orndoff (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 13, 20-22, 1900, in China. His citation reads:

In action with the relief expedition of the Allied forces in China, 13, 20, 21, and 22 June 1900. During this period and in the presence of the enemy, Orndoff distinguished himself by meritorious conduct.

Private Charles A. Orr (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 27, 1864, at Hatchers Run, Virginia. His citation reads:

This soldier and two others, voluntarily and under fire, rescued several wounded and helpless soldiers.


Can you believe we had ice on the trees and bridges last week? It sure doesn’t feel like it now…

Speaking of ice... The bad weather last week caused me to miss something.  Actor Ralph Waite died last Thursday.  The interweb (if you are to believe such things) said that he is best known for his role as John Walton, Sr. on The WaltonsI'm just sayin..., however, will tell you he is best known for his role as Jackson Gibbs... the father of the great Leroy Jethro Gibbs on NCIS.  I don't really know anything about Ralph Waite, except that I am really going to miss seeing him in NCIS.  I hope he rests in peace.

Sonny sent me this link to an ESPN article about Mizzou students supporting a fellow student (football player) who recently announced he's gay.  Before I get to the article, let me say I stopped caring if guys were gay or not once I met The Wife.  The only reason I cared before was because I wanted to know if they were competition or not.  In college I lived and worked with gay guys and I learned something very important... I don't care.  I also learned that like most of the girls at Winthrop, these guys had no interest in sleeping with me.  It's not like I had to walk around worrying about them trying to force themselves on me.  Sound silly?  It should... but it's something people seem to worry about (especially when talking about gays in sports).  Bottom line, though, is I don't care and I look forward to the day when it's not a "story" that a player is or isn't gay (by the way, does anyone really think this is the first gay football player?  Really?  This is a sport that has a player bend over while another player places his hands in a place where most men don't put their hands).  So back to this article, it seems the Westboro Baptist Cult decided to protest outside of a basketball game that the football player was going to be at.  So Mizzou students decided to stand outside as a show of support.  It ended up not just being students, but other fans and people in the community.  14 members of the cult showed up... 2,000 good guys (and gals) were there.  I wish I'd been there.  Not so much to support him (as I've said, I don't care), but more as an F*** You to the cult.  I'm not saying everyone has to support this guy.  I don't even think everyone has to agree with my opinion or my views on this subject.  But I know that the cult is wrong in how they deal with this issue.  It's not so much the hate that bothers me... You know I'm all for a little hate in this world.  What bothers me is that they do what they do under the guise of being a "church".  I only wish more people in the media would follow my lead and call them what they really are... a cult.  I know I should probably ignore them, but I can't.  As I told Sonny, the people in that cult are the false prophets the Bible warns us about.  I'm sure there is a good Christian approach to dealing with people like them and maybe Sonny will talk about it on his blog... but for now, we at I'm just sayin... will continue to take the low road and call them jackasses and other names that aren't real nice and hope they hit rush hour traffic every time they leave their little cult area.  And I hope I get the chance one day to stand against them and help show that they can be crushed peacefully... or with my fists... whichever comes first.


Picture Thursday






Bridge over the Knightsville River


Mr. I can do it! climbing over a tree

The front part of the land


No comments:

Post a Comment