Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, February 27, 2014

RIP Harold Ramis

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Corporal Jacob G. Orth (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 17, 1862, at Antietam, Maryland. His citation reads:

Capture of flag of 7th South Carolina Infantry (C.S.A.), in hand_to_hand encounter, although he was wounded in the shoulder.

Seaman John Osborne (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 21, 1876, on board the USS Juniata. His citation reads:

Serving on board the U.S.S. Juniata, Osborne displayed gallant conduct in rescuing from drowning an enlisted boy of that vessel, at Philadelphia, Pa., 21 August 1876.

Lieutenant, Junior Grade Weedon E. Osborne (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 6, 1918, in Bouresche, France. His citation reads:

For extraordinary heroism while attached to the 6th Regiment, U.S. Marines, in actual conflict with the enemy and under fire during the advance on Bouresche, France, on 6 June 1918. In the hottest of the fighting when the marines made their famous advance on Bouresche at the southern edge of Belleau Wood, Lt (j.g.). Osborne threw himself zealously into the work of rescuing the wounded. Extremely courageous in the performance of this perilous task, he was killed while carrying a wounded officer to a place of safety.


RIP Harold Ramis… As I’m sure you know, Harold Allen Ramis died this past Monday. Some of you (like me) know him best as Egon Spengler in the classic Ghostbusters. When you look at the 3 main guys in that movie, you might not think of him as a comic genius. I admit, when I look at them and think of humor, he’s not the guy I think of first. It’s not that I didn’t think he was funny, but the other two fellows are Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd… well… it’s easy to overlook Harold. But to do so would be foolish. Along with his role in Ghostbusters, he also played Russell Ziskey in Stripes (he also co-wrote both movies). He was 1 of 3 screenwriters for National Lampoon’s Animal House. He also wrote and directed some other movies that those of us in the business call classics... Caddyshack, National Lampoon’s Vacation, Groundhog Day (which he won the BAFTA Award for Best Original Screenplay for) and Analyze This. To write just one of these would be enough to earn him the title of a great comic. To write all of them is to give him the title of comic genius. The world has lost a very funny man.


Picture Thursday












No comments:

Post a Comment