Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Picture time!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Lieutenant Colonel Michael C. Murphy (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 24, 1864, at North Anna River, Virginia. His citation reads:

This officer, commanding the regiment, kept it on the field exposed to the fire of the enemy for 3 hours without being able to fire one shot in return because of the ammunition being exhausted.

Lieutenant Michael P. Murphy (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 28, 2005, near Asadabad, Afghanistan. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as the leader of a special reconnaissance element with Naval Special Warfare Task Unit Afghanistan on 27 and 28 June 2005. While leading a mission to locate a high-level anti-coalition militia leader, Lieutenant Murphy demonstrated extraordinary heroism in the face of grave danger in the vicinity of Asadabad, Konar Province, Afghanistan. On 28 June 2005, operating in an extremely rugged enemy-controlled area, Lieutenant Murphy’s team was discovered by anti-coalition militia sympathizers, who revealed their position to Taliban fighters. As a result, between 30 and 40 enemy fighters besieged his four-member team. Demonstrating exceptional resolve, Lieutenant Murphy valiantly led his men in engaging the large enemy force. The ensuing fierce firefight resulted in numerous enemy casualties, as well as the wounding of all four members of the team. Ignoring his own wounds and demonstrating exceptional composure, Lieutenant Murphy continued to lead and encourage his men. When the primary communicator fell mortally wounded, Lieutenant Murphy repeatedly attempted to call for assistance for his beleaguered teammates. Realizing the impossibility of communicating in the extreme terrain, and in the face of almost certain death, he fought his way into open terrain to gain a better position to transmit a call. This deliberate, heroic act deprived him of cover, exposing him to direct enemy fire. Finally achieving contact with his Headquarters, Lieutenant Murphy maintained his exposed position while he provided his location and requested immediate support for his team. In his final act of bravery, he continued to engage the enemy until he was mortally wounded, gallantly giving his life for his country and for the cause of freedom. By his selfless leadership, courageous actions, and extraordinary devotion to duty, Lieutenant Murphy reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

Boatswain’s Mate Patrick Murphy (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864, on board the U.S.S. Metacomet. His citation reads:

Served as boatswain's mate on board the U.S.S. Metacomet, during action against rebel forts and gunboats and with the ram Tennessee in Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Despite damage to his ship and the loss of several men on board as enemy fire raked her decks, Murphy performed his duties with skill and courage throughout a furious 2_hour battle which resulted in the surrender of the rebel ram Tennessee and in the damaging and destruction of batteries at Fort Morgan.


If you are in the Summerville area this Thursday, Friday and Saturday night between 6:30 - 9:30pm, make sure you stop by Bethany United Methodist Church to see The Living Christmas Story. I'll be there during the first shift Thursday night... see if you can spot me.

If you see a couple of drunk/hungover guys walking around Summerville waving, don't be alarmed... it's just my buddies Danny (yes, that Danny) and Cory still celebrating the Revolutionary War Heroes 5th straight win over Clemson this past Saturday night.  For the record, Danny still owes me 5 (dozen) Krispy Kreme Doughnuts that I promised him he would bring me to celebrate the big win. There is still time for him to make good on his promise (that I made for him). Maybe he can bring them to me this weekend.

By the way, I'm looking for a painting/picture/print of Danny Ford and one of Joe Morrison.  Anyone know where these can be found?  I'm pretty sure I've seen them before, but can't find them.  I'm not saying I am going to purchase them now, but I'd like to know where to get them and how much they go for.

I don't like talking about sad stuff on here, which is probably why I'm not good at transitioning to sad stuff.  Anyway, here it is... Please pray for my friend (and The Wife and Rebecca's sorority sister) Jackie.  Her husband Charles died yesterday after a little over a year long battle with cancer.  He fought the good fight, and leaves behind a good wife, two little girls (about the same age as mine) and a lot of friends who will miss him. 


Picture Tuesday

More Labor Day pics (we took a lot this year)...



He told me he didn't need a nap...


They looooooove their mommy...



I decided to get a picture of all of the adults (their word, not mine) trying to get a picture of the kids



No comments:

Post a Comment