Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, November 21, 2013

HAPPY BIRTHDAY J. MICHAEL GEOFFRY!!!!!!!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Boatswain’s Mate Patrick Mullen (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 17, 1865, on board the U.S.S. Wyandank. His citation reads:

Served as boatswain's mate on board the U.S.S. Wyandank during a boat expedition up Mattox Creek, 17 March 1865. Rendering gallant assistance to his commanding officer, Mullen, lying on his back, loaded the howitzer and then fired so carefully as to kill and wound many rebels, causing their retreat. SECOND AWARD G.O. No.: 62, 29 June 1865. Second award. Citation: Served as boatswain's mate on board the U.S.S. Don, 1 May 1865. Engaged in picking up the crew of picket launch No. 6, which had swamped. Mullen, seeing an officer who was at that time no longer able to keep up and was below the surface of the water, jumped overboard and brought the officer to the boat, thereby rescuing him from drowning, which brave action entitled him to wear a bar on the medal he had already received at Mattox Creek, 17 March 1865.

Mate Frederick Muller (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 30, 1898, on board the U.S.S. Wompatuck. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Wompatuck, Manzanillo, Cuba, 30 June 1898. Serving under the fire of the enemy, Muller displayed heroism and gallantry during this period.

Sergeant Joseph E. Muller (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 15-16, 1945, near Ishimmi, Okinawa, Ryukyu Islands. His citation reads:

He displayed conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty. When his platoon was stopped by deadly fire from a strongly defended ridge, he directed men to points where they could cover his attack. Then through the vicious machinegun and automatic fire, crawling forward alone, he suddenly jumped up, hurled his grenades, charged the enemy, and drove them into the open where his squad shot them down. Seeing enemy survivors about to man a machinegun, He fired his rifle at point-blank range, hurled himself upon them, and killed the remaining 4. Before dawn the next day, the enemy counterattacked fiercely to retake the position. Sgt. Muller crawled forward through the flying bullets and explosives, then leaping to his feet, hurling grenades and firing his rifle, he charged the Japs and routed them. As he moved into his foxhole shared with 2 other men, a lone enemy, who had been feigning death, threw a grenade. Quickly seeing the danger to his companions, Sgt. Muller threw himself over it and smothered the blast with his body. Heroically sacrificing his life to save his comrades, he upheld the highest traditions of the military service.


Just wanted to swing by the I’m just sayin… offices today to wish my good friend and banker J. Michael G. a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! We hope his boys and wife (my good buddy Adrian) make it a great day. And if they don’t, then I’m sure it’s because he doesn’t deserve it.

Oops… He did it again. I’m starting to see why my Daddy always used to say about Sonny, “That boy’s sure got a lot of stupid in him”. (That might not be a direct quote… there’s actually a good chance he never said that at all… but he HAS to have thought it at some point). As you know, Sonny took a shot at me for following the 2014 NBA Champion Brooklyn Nets this season with this post. I then won Round 1 by responding with this post. Sonny, like Apollo Creed, should have just stayed down. But he decided to get up and dust himself off and try to keep fighting. I have to admit, I admire his spirit. His latest post is funny enough to make me think he had help writing it… or maybe, just maybe, there’s a funny guy hidden inside the body of that functional mute.  Anyway… Let me recap my phone call to Sonny last night.


Sonny: “Why are you cheering for the Nets?”

Me: “You want answers?”

Sonny: “I think I’m entitled!”

Me: “You want answers?!”

Sonny: “I want the truth!”

Me: “You can't handle the truth! Sonny, we live in a world that has NBA teams, and those teams have to be cheered by men with blogs. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Sonny? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the old days and you curse the current NBA players. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that the retirement of past greats, while tragic, probably saved the NBA. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves the NBA! You don't want the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me cheering the Nets. You need me cheering the Nets. We use words like "I’m", "just", "sayin…". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very blog that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I pick a team to cheer for! I would rather you just said "thank you", and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a keyboard, and post about a team you pull for. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

Sonny: “…………………What?”


It’s funny, I thought Sonny was raised on the same slice of Heaven (James Island) as I was, but his argument that Michigan, Indiana and Chicago are in the mid-west and not the north is disappointing. To help Sonny out, I will point to Exhibit A: The title of the greatest TV mini-series about the War Between the States… North and South. What areas fought for the north? That’s right… Michigan, Indiana and Chicago. It wasn’t the Mid-West, North and South, now was it? I rest my case.

Sonny also corrected me… he didn’t have one college roommate from New Jersey, he had three. Well, Sonny, let me tell you that 3 wrongs don’t make a right and they sure don’t give you credibility. Of course, it does help explain how someone from his generation would consider the death of Apollo Creed as the darkest day in history (instead of the day the greatest President in the world [Ronald Reagan] was shot)… he lived with all of those liberals during his formative college years.

Hey, speaking of President Reagan… check out this video.



No comments:

Post a Comment