Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Pouting Daniel....

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Chief Gunner’s Mate Mons Monssen (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 13, 1904, on board the U.S.S. Missouri. His citation reads:

Serving on board the U.S.S. Missouri, for extraordinary heroism in entering a burning magazine through the scuttle and endeavoring to extinguish the fire by throwing water with his hands until a hose was passed to him, 13 April 1904.

Chief Master-at-Arms Daniel Montague (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 2, 1898, in the harbor of Santiago de Cuba. His citation reads:

In connection with the sinking of the U.S.S. Merrimac at the entrance to the harbor of Santiago de Cuba, 2 June 1898. Despite heavy fire from the Spanish batteries, Montague displayed extraordinary heroism throughout this operation.

First Lieutenant Jimmie W. Monteith, Jr. (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 6, 1944, near Colleville-sur-Mer, France. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty on 6 June 1944, near Colleville-sur-Mer, France. 1st Lt. Monteith landed with the initial assault waves on the coast of France under heavy enemy fire. Without regard to his own personal safety he continually moved up and down the beach reorganizing men for further assault. He then led the assault over a narrow protective ledge and across the flat, exposed terrain to the comparative safety of a cliff. Retracing his steps across the field to the beach, he moved over to where 2 tanks were buttoned up and blind under violent enemy artillery and machinegun fire. Completely exposed to the intense fire, 1st Lt. Monteith led the tanks on foot through a minefield and into firing positions. Under his direction several enemy positions were destroyed. He then rejoined his company and under his leadership his men captured an advantageous position on the hill. Supervising the defense of his newly won position against repeated vicious counterattacks, he continued to ignore his own personal safety, repeatedly crossing the 200 or 300 yards of open terrain under heavy fire to strengthen links in his defensive chain. When the enemy succeeded in completely surrounding 1st Lt. Monteith and his unit and while leading the fight out of the situation, 1st Lt. Monteith was killed by enemy fire. The courage, gallantry, and intrepid leadership displayed by 1st Lt. Monteith is worthy of emulation.


The Federal government might be shut down, but nothing can stop me (except a bad internet connection). We’ve got a lot of pictures today, so I won’t bother you with words from me. Maybe one day I’ll have time to give you some words of wisdom that you usually come here for… but until then, let’s get to the pictures.

If you are looking for a little something to read, head on over to Sonny’Side to check out Sonny’s sermons from this month.


Picture Tuesday

If you're like me, you'll take one look at these pictures of Daniel pouting in the park and think "That looks like The Wife!!!"



 
These next pictures are from a few Saturdays ago... Daniel, Mary Ruth, Susie and The Wife washed the van while I watched college football.  And yet there are some out in this world who still don't believe in miracles...







 


No comments:

Post a Comment