Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Tree Pics... And a snake story

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Captain of the Forecastle John McFarland (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864, on board the U.S.S. Hartford. His citation reads:

Stationed at the wheel on board the flagship U.S.S. Hartford during successful action against Fort Morgan, rebel gunboats and the ram Tennessee in Mobile Bay, on 5 August 1864. With his ship under terrific enemy shellfire, McFarland performed his duties with skill and courage and, when the Lackawanna ran into his ship and every man at the wheel was in danger of being crushed, remained steadfast at his station and continued to steer the ship.

Master Sergeant Charles L. McGaha (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on February 7, 1945, near Lupao, Luzon, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

He displayed conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity. His platoon and 1 other from Company G were pinned down in a roadside ditch by heavy fire from 5 Japanese tanks supported by 10 machineguns and a platoon of riflemen. When 1 of his men fell wounded 40 yards away, he unhesitatingly crossed the road under a hail of bullets and moved the man 75 yards to safety. Although he had suffered a deep arm wound, he returned to his post. Finding the platoon leader seriously wounded, he assumed command and rallied his men. Once more he braved the enemy fire to go to the aid of a litter party removing another wounded soldier. A shell exploded in their midst, wounding him in the shoulder and killing 2 of the party. He picked up the remaining man, carried him to cover, and then moved out in front deliberately to draw the enemy fire while the American forces, thus protected, withdrew to safety. When the last man had gained the new position, he rejoined his command and there collapsed from loss of blood and exhaustion. M/Sgt. McGaha set an example of courage and leadership in keeping with the highest traditions of the service.

First Sergeant Michael A. McGann (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 17, 1876, at Rosebud River, Montana. His citation reads:

Gallantry in action.


I was home with Mary Ruth last Wednesday and Thursday (because I wanted to spend some time with her after her two week trip). Since it’s been raining so much, I decided to cut the grass Wednesday afternoon. I got the backyard cut and then went to the front. I then cut the front yard and as I was walking to the backyard, Maverick started barking. It wasn’t just a bark, it sounded like a pissed off bark. I figured he was just barking at me, so I started calling him and telling him it’s just me coming back there. I opened the gate and saw that Maverick was looking in the corner of the fence, standing in a fighting pose and he had changed from bark to growl. I called him over to me and then I saw the snake curled up in some base of a flower pot thing (not a flower pot… but the thing you put under the flower pot). Anyway, I take a step over in the direction of the snake (which, as luck would have it, was also in the direction of a small medium trench shovel that was leaning against the fence) and the snake opened its mouth. He could’ve just been yawning, but it looked like he was kind of pissed. I don’t know if it was this move by the snake or if maybe the snake called him the “N” word… but at this moment Maverick started growling/snarling and his teeth were in full force. So to make sure we’re all on the same page, the snake was showing his teeth, Maverick was showing his teeth and I was showing my teeth (it just felt like the right thing to do at the time). I have to be honest… The main thing going through my mind was that Danny (yes, that Danny) would be happy to know that I wasn’t going to kill this snake with a hatchet. Then I laughed to myself as I noticed I was wearing old tennis shoes, garnet gym shorts, a grey Winthrop t-shirt, Carhartt gloves and a Winthrop hat… and I was going to kill this snake with a shovel that is probably only 12-18 inches bigger than the hatchet I used before. Sorry Danny. I’m no expert, but there didn’t seem to be a lot of time before the snake or Maverick attacked (or Scooby came over and got in the way), so I got the shovel and struck. I missed the head (oops), but got part of the body. The hit was hard enough that the snake didn’t strike back right away, so I went for the kill shot and cut the head clean off. I then stood and watched as the snake’s mouth kept opening and shutting. That lasted for a few minutes and then it stopped (maybe because I hit the head a few times as hard as I could while yelling like Samuel L. Jackson “Get these muthaf***in’ snakes out of my muthaf***in yard!!!!). Anyway, here are a couple of pics (before we get to our regularly scheduled pics). Oh, and for those of you keeping score at home, that’s 3 copperheads I’ve killed in the last year (two in our yard, one on the street near our house). The one on the street had been wounded (probably by a car), but it was still alive when I crushed its head with my heel (sorry again Danny). Anywho… here are the pics…

You have to look hard to see the snake... I might not have seen him if it wasn't for Maverick.

Dirty snake head on a rock... The mouth of the snake was still moving at this point.  

Snake (plus snake head) on top of my shed so Scooby wouldn't get into any trouble.

Before the move to the shed. 



Picture Tuesday
These pics aren't in order... sorry.  If you look real hard on the left side of the picture, you can see the Yard of the Month sign in the yard next to ours.




Big thanks to Jeremy, who helped me the night the tree hit the house, and to my father-in-law who cut most of the tree down while I was cleaning condos on Folly.  There's no telling what we would have done without his help (probably just left it leaning on the house... Haha... just kidding).

Mary Ruth - The morning she left for Red Wing, MN

This is from a few months ago, but I don't think it ever made it on here.  This is Mary Ruth and me after the Spann Awards night.

No comments:

Post a Comment