Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, July 5, 2013

Happy 5th!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Captain Samuel McConnell (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 9, 1865, at Fort Blakely, Alabama. His citation reads:

While leading his company in an assault, Capt. McConnell braved an intense fire that mowed down his unit. Upon reaching the breastworks he found that he had only one member of his company with him, Pvt. Wagner. He was so close to an enemy gun that the blast knocked him down a ditch. Getting up, he entered the gun pit, the guncrew fleeing before him. About 30 paces away he saw a Confederate flag bearer and guard which he captured with the last shot in his pistol.

Lieutenant Richard Miles McCool (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 10-11, 1945, off Okinawa. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as commanding officer of the U.S.S. LSC(L)(3) 122 during operations against enemy Japanese forces in the Ryukyu chain, 10 and 11 June 1945. Sharply vigilant during hostile air raids against Allied ships on radar picket duty off Okinawa on 10 June, Lt. McCool aided materially in evacuating all survivors from a sinking destroyer which had sustained mortal damage under the devastating attacks. When his own craft was attacked simultaneously by 2 of the enemy's suicide squadron early in the evening of 11 June, he instantly hurled the full power of his gun batteries against the plunging aircraft, shooting down the first and damaging the second before it crashed his station in the conning tower and engulfed the immediate area in a mass of flames. Although suffering from shrapnel wounds and painful burns, he rallied his concussion-shocked crew and initiated vigorous firefighting measures and then proceeded to the rescue of several trapped in a blazing compartment, subsequently carrying 1 man to safety despite the excruciating pain of additional severe burns. Unmindful of all personal danger, he continued his efforts without respite until aid arrived from other ships and he was evacuated. By his staunch leadership, capable direction, and indomitable determination throughout the crisis, Lt. McCool saved the lives of many who otherwise might have perished and contributed materially to the saving of his ship for further combat service. His valiant spirit of self-sacrifice in the face of extreme peril sustains and enhances the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

Boatswain’s Mate Michael McCormick (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 5, 1864, on board the U.S.S. Signal. His citation reads:

Served as boatswain's mate on board the U.S.S. Signal, Red River, 5 May 1864. Proceeding up the Red River, the U.S.S. Signal engaged a large force of enemy field batteries and sharpshooters, returning the fire until the ship was totally disabled, at which time the white flag was raised. Serving as gun captain and wounded early in the battle, McCormick bravely stood by his gun in the face of the enemy fire until ordered to withdraw.


We at I’m just sayin… hope you had a great 4th of July! A few years ago I had a little part-time gig helping Sonny shoot fireworks for shows around the Atlanta area around the 4th. Now I have a part-time weekend gig working for a local company that cleans rental houses/condos on Folly Beach. The pay is better and the job is a heck of a lot safer… but I don’t get to play with explosives. It’s hard to explain the adrenaline rush from riding shotgun in a U-Haul with Sonny that’s jam packed with wood and fireworks (not that sparkler crap… I mean the big boom boom shell stuff) while he’s smoking a cigar and I’ve got my pipe lit. It makes you feel alive! Ok, so neither of us smokes, but the other stuff was true. Still, the background checks danger got to be a little too much. Anyway, we hope all of you had a safe and fun 4th!!!!


Flashback Friday
Teresa Lynn's middle daughter Ansley (Susie's favorite person in the world)

A Christmas pic from long ago... Might have been The Wife's first Christmas with us (I can't remember)

Teresa Lynn's oldest, Leah (and her crazy hair)

Mom, Teresa Lynn and Leah

Mom, Granny, Leah and Aunt Yvonne (who might be smiling, but I think she looks like she's about to spike Leah)

Leah again.... This was a little more Leah focused than I noticed when planning it

No comments:

Post a Comment