Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, June 28, 2013

Mail Time

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Joseph McCauslin (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 2, 1865, at Petersburg, Virginia. His citation reads:

Conspicuous gallantry as color bearer in the assault on Fort Gregg.

First Lieutenant Charles O. McCleary (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 16, 1864, at Nashville, Tennessee. His citation reads:

Capture of flag of 4th Florida Infantry (C.S.A.), while in advance of his lines.

Platoon Sergeant Finnis D. McCleery (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 14, 1968, at Quang Tin province, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. P/Sgt. McCleery, U.S. Army, distinguished himself while serving as platoon leader of the 1st platoon of Company A. A combined force was assigned the mission of assaulting a reinforced company of North Vietnamese Army regulars, well entrenched on Hill 352, 17 miles west of Tam Ky. As P/Sgt. McCleery led his men up the hill and across an open area to close with the enemy, his platoon and other friendly elements were pinned down by tremendously heavy fire coming from the fortified enemy positions. Realizing the severe damage that the enemy could inflict on the combined force in the event that their attack was completely halted, P/Sgt. McCleery rose from his sheltered position and began a 1-man assault on the bunker complex. With extraordinary courage, he moved across 60 meters of open ground as bullets struck all around him and rockets and grenades literally exploded at his feet. As he came within 30 meters of the key enemy bunker, P/Sgt. McCleery began firing furiously from the hip and throwing hand grenades. At this point in his assault, he was painfully wounded by shrapnel, but, with complete disregard for his wound, he continued his advance on the key bunker and killed all of its occupants. Having successfully and single-handedly breached the enemy perimeter, he climbed to the top of the bunker he had just captured and, in full view of the enemy, shouted encouragement to his men to follow his assault. As the friendly forces moved forward, P/Sgt. McCleery began a lateral assault on the enemy bunker line. He continued to expose himself to the intense enemy fire as he moved from bunker to bunker, destroying each in turn. He was wounded a second time by shrapnel as he destroyed and routed the enemy from the hill. P/Sgt. McCleery is personally credited with eliminating several key enemy positions and inspiring the assault that resulted in gaining control of Hill 352. His extraordinary heroism at the risk of his life, above and beyond the call of duty, was in keeping with the highest standards of the military service, and reflects great credit on him, the American Division, and the U.S. Army.


We haven’t looked at fan emails in a while, so let’s look at some now…


Dear I’m just sayin…,

Long time reader, first time writer. I’ve been a big fan of yours going all the way back to the pre-blog “email days”. Because of the line of work I am in, I do a lot of reading and most of it is just boring crap, but your work always brought a smile to my face. It was always easy to tell which person in the office got to read your intercepted communications… er… work based on how hard they were laughing. So on behalf of everyone in my NSA office, let me just say thank you for what you do. Keep up the good work!

Always watching… er… reading,

Big Brother



Dear B.B.,

Thank you so much for the kind words. Whenever I am writing or talking on the phone I always assume you guys and gals are listening in so I try to give my best at all times. Now seems like a good time to remind my NSA friends that when I communicate with people (including, but not limited to, Dad and Aunt Yvonne) that the views expressed in those communications by those participating in the communications not named “Greg” may or may not be the actual views of “Greg”. Also… Any rebroadcast, retransmission, or account of my calls/emails/blogs, without the express written consent of “Greg”, I’m just sayin… and Major League Baseball, is prohibited.

Thanks again for your kinds words. Now go catch some bad guys!


Dear I’m just sayin…,

I’m the dad of two one year old boys. Can you give me any advice?

Money Man



Dear Money,

Don’t worry… boys are easy. It helps that both of these boys have the same mom. Trust me, you don’t want two one year old boys with two different women! Anyway, show up more days than not and throw them around a little (if you call it “wrestling”, it’s socially acceptable) and you should be fine. It’s 50/50 on if they’ll be fine or not… but you should be fine. The good news is I know a guy about to have twin girls, so your boys might not have to look far for prom dates. Also, I know that you went to Clemson while your wonderful wife (who comes from a USC family) went to UGA, so I fully expect your boys to attend Winthrop. It’s time for someone in your family to attend a school of higher learning that they can be proud of.


Dear I’m just sayin…,

I’m going to have twin girls… HELP!

Distressed Lumber Worker, II



Dear DLW (part II),

Don’t worry… girls are easy. All you have to do is show up more days than not, pick a favorite Disney Princess (which, let’s be honest, you’ve probably already done), and keep them away from boys. By the way, I know a pair of one year old boys that already have their eyes on your girls. As the great Barney Fife would say, you’ve got to “nip that in the bud”. Don’t get me wrong, these are good boys (word on the street is that they are going to Winthrop), but you still can’t let them look at your sweet unborn girls like that.

Anyway, don’t worry… and either prepare to not get any sleep or learn to sleep through crying (guess which one I picked).


Flashback Friday
Mom, Granny and Aunt Yvonne

This was my teddy bear after my ear surgery (notice the band-aid on his ear).

This was my ear after my ear surgery (notice the tube sticking out the back of my ear)

Me after my ear surgery with "Bear" and "Moo" (Jennifer gave that stuffed animal to me when I was in the hospital... I thought it was a horse but she said it was a cow) and Leah

Me and Allison

Ansley and Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment