Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, June 21, 2013

Flashback 11 years…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private William McCabe (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 26-28, 1874, near Red River, Texas. His citation reads:

Gallantry in attack on a large party of Cheyennes.

Staff Sergeant Thomas E. McCall (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 22, 1944, near San Angelo, Italy. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty. On 22 January 1944, Company F had the mission of crossing the Rapido River in the vicinity of San Angelo, Italy, and attacking the well-prepared German positions to the west. For the defense of these positions the enemy had prepared a network of machinegun positions covering the terrain to the front with a pattern of withering machinegun fire, and mortar and artillery positions zeroed in on the defilade areas. S/Sgt. McCall commanded a machinegun section that was to provide added fire support for the riflemen. Under cover of darkness, Company F advanced to the river crossing site and under intense enemy mortar, artillery, and machinegun fire crossed an ice-covered bridge which was continually the target for enemy fire. Many casualties occurred on reaching the west side of the river and reorganization was imperative. Exposing himself to the deadly enemy machinegun and small arms fire that swept over the flat terrain, S/Sgt. McCall, with unusual calmness, encouraged and welded his men into an effective fighting unit. He then led them forward across the muddy, exposed terrain. Skillfully he guided his men through a barbed-wire entanglement to reach a road where he personally placed the weapons of his two squads into positions of vantage, covering the battalion's front. A shell landed near one of the positions, wounding the gunner, killing the assistant gunner, and destroying the weapon. Even though enemy shells were falling dangerously near, S/Sgt. McCall crawled across the treacherous terrain and rendered first aid to the wounded man, dragging him into a position of cover with the help of another man. The gunners of the second machinegun had been wounded from the fragments of an enemy shell, leaving S/Sgt. McCall the only remaining member of his machinegun section. Displaying outstanding aggressiveness, he ran forward with the weapon on his hip, reaching a point 30 yards from the enemy, where he fired 2 bursts of fire into the nest, killing or wounding all of the crew and putting the gun out of action. A second machinegun now opened fire upon him and he rushed its position, firing his weapon from the hip, killing 4 of the guncrew. A third machinegun, 50 yards in rear of the first two, was delivering a tremendous volume of fire upon our troops. S/Sgt. McCall spotted its position and valiantly went toward it in the face of overwhelming enemy fire. He was last seen courageously moving forward on the enemy position, firing his machinegun from his hip. S/Sgt. McCall's intrepidity and unhesitating willingness to sacrifice his life exemplify the highest traditions of the Armed Forces.

First Lieutenant William W. McCammon (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 3, 1862, at Corinth, Mississippi. His citation reads:

While on duty as provost marshal, voluntarily assumed command of his company, then under fire, and so continued in command until the repulse and retreat of the enemy on the following day, the loss to this company during the battle being very great.


Before we get to the reason you're all here, let me start off today by saying RIP to two guys whose work I love.  James Gandolfini (star of the great TV show "The Sopranos") died earlier this week.  He was only 51 years old.  As if that wasn't bad enough, best-selling author Vince Flynn has also passed away. If you haven't read his books, you're missing out.  I love his "Mitch Rapp" Series about a CIA counterterrorism operative.  I'm still just getting into the series, but I love what I've read so far.  My ability to "escape reality" will be a little harder now with these guys gone.


Congrats to my Heat for being back-to-back NBA Champions!!! The Spurs put up a good fight, but the Heat got the job done. Congrats also to Jeremy (who stood up for our Heat whenever someone would say something stupid about them on social media)... We were the only two who believed the Heat could win it all. (For the record, Jeremy really is a fan. I just pulled for them because I like a couple of their players and because I didn't see a team that I liked more than them. I have no loyalty when it comes to the NBA. So there's no telling who I will pull for next season, but Jeremy will still be a Miami Heat fan).

The flashback pictures today are from 11 years ago… around the time of The Wife’s wedding weekend. Enjoy…


Flashback Friday


As I'm sure you remember, one of mom's former roommates asked that her name and picture not be put on here.  Who am I to go against the wishes of one of my Labor Day aunts?  So in this picture we have my Labor Day Aunt Not-Janie, my pre-school teacher Miss Jennie, Katrina, and my Labor Day Aunt Janie.

Mom, Labor Day Aunt Not-Janie, Labor Day Aunt Janie, and Harriet

Back Row: Labor Day Uncle DG, Farrell, Labor Day Uncle Paul, Winston, Selina, Wade;
Front Row: Labor Day Aunt Janie, Harriet, Labor Day Aunt Not-Janie, Laurel and Granny

Me and The Wife

Slow dancing to AC/DC's You Shook Me All Night Long


Dancing between Mom and Dad and Adam and Jen


Me dancing with Mom - I don't remember the song, but I think it was something like You Are My Favorite Son... or something like that.




Dad (on the right) with his childhood friends... amazing that after all of these years these people still like him.  I mean, they seem to be pretty smart and yet... 

Teresa Lynn with Ansley


Me and The Wife (and half of Rebecca)

No comments:

Post a Comment