Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown (30-21)

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant George Marsh (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 2, 1863, at Elk River, Tennessee. His citation reads:

Voluntarily led a small party and, under a heavy fire, captured a stockade and saved the bridge.

Quartermaster Edward S. Martin (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864, on board the U.S.S. Calena. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Calena during the attack on enemy forts at Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Securely lashed to the side of the Oneida which had suffered the loss of her steering apparatus and an explosion of her boiler from enemy fire, the Calena aided the stricken vessel past the enemy forts to safety. Despite heavy damage to his ship from raking enemy fire, Martin performed his duties with skill and courage throughout the action.

First Lieutenant Harry Linn Martin (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 26, 1945, on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as platoon leader attached to Company C, 5th Pioneer Battalion, 5th Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands, 26 March 1945. With his sector of the 5th Pioneer Battalion bivouac area penetrated by a concentrated enemy attack launched a few minutes before dawn, 1st Lt. Martin instantly organized a firing line with the marines nearest his foxhole and succeeded in checking momentarily the headlong rush of the Japanese. Determined to rescue several of his men trapped in positions overrun by the enemy, he defied intense hostile fire to work his way through the Japanese to the surrounded marines. Although sustaining 2 severe wounds, he blasted the Japanese who attempted to intercept him, located his beleaguered men and directed them to their own lines. When 4 of the infiltrating enemy took possession of an abandoned machinegun pit and subjected his sector to a barrage of hand grenades, 1st Lt. Martin, alone and armed only with a pistol, boldly charged the hostile position and killed all of its occupants. Realizing that his few remaining comrades could not repulse another organized attack, he called to his men to follow and then charged into the midst of the strong enemy force, firing his weapon and scattering them until he fell, mortally wounded by a grenade. By his outstanding valor, indomitable fighting spirit and tenacious determination in the face of overwhelming odds, 1st Lt. Martin permanently disrupted a coordinated Japanese attack and prevented a greater loss of life in his own and adjacent platoons. His inspiring leadership and unswerving devotion to duty reflect the highest credit upon himself and the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life in the service of his country.


The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown

30 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith by: Patricia C. Wrede

29 Guess How Much I Love You by: Sam McBratney and Anita Jeram

28 The Last Great Game: Duke vs. Kentucky and the 2.1 Seconds That Changed Basketball by: Gene Wojciechowski *A great book about one of the greatest games I've ever seen. I remember watching this with my cousin Louis at my Aunt Yvonne and Uncle George's house. Man that was a fun game to watch (if you were pulling for Duke, that is).*

27 I'm Back For More Cash: Because You Can't Take Two Hundred Newspapers into the Bathroom by: Tony Kornheiser *I love his writing as much as I love his radio show.*

26 Left Behind: A Novel of the Earth's Last Days by: Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins *The best of the series… this is the one that makes you want to read all of the others.*

25 Moby Dick by: Herman Melvile

24 Halsey's Typhoon: The True Story of a Fighting Admiral, an Epic Storm, and an Untold Rescue by: Bob Drury and Tom Clavin *High school kids should have to read books like this one. This is one of those books that I like to read when I think I'm having a bad day… because I don't care how bad a day I'm having, it ain't as bad as what these men went through. I would say this is a must read for everyone.*

23 Is Your Mama a Llama by: Deborah Guarino and Steven Kellogg *I love reading this to the kids… it's not my favorite (we'll get to that later), but I do love it.*

22 The Runner by: Cynthia Voigt *This is another book I read in middle school and loved. Unlike The Crazy Horse Electric Game, I had a little easier time finding this one.*

21 Star Wars: Heir To The Empire by: Timothy Zahn *This is the book that brought Star Wars back.*


Picture Tuesday

Me and Susie before her music program

I think the stress was getting to her... or maybe not

Me and Daniel waiting for Susie's music program to start

I think the stress was getting to him... or maybe not

Susie during her music program


Daniel eating ice cream

Susie eating her ice cream


No comments:

Post a Comment