Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown (99-88)

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Lieutenant Commander James Jonas Madison (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 4, 1918, on board the U.S.S. Ticonderoga. His citation reads:

For exceptionally heroic service in a position of great responsibility as commanding officer of the U.S.S. Ticonderoga, when, on 4 October 1918, that vessel was attacked by an enemy submarine and was sunk after a prolonged and gallant resistance. The submarine opened fire at a range of 500 yards, the first shots taking effect on the bridge and forecastle, 1 of the 2 forward guns of the Ticonderoga being disabled by the second shot. The fire was returned and the fight continued for nearly 2 hours. Lt. Comdr. Madison was severely wounded early in the fight, but caused himself to be placed in a chair on the bridge and continued to direct the fire and to maneuver the ship. When the order was finally given to abandon the sinking ship, he became unconscious from loss of blood, but was lowered into a lifeboat and was saved, with 31 others, out of a total number of 236 on board.

Second Class Fireman John W. Magee (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 21, 1884, on board the U.S.S. Tallapoosa. His citation reads:

Serving on board the U.S.S. Tallapoosa during the sinking of that vessel on the night of 21 August 1884. During this period, Magee remained at his post of duty in the fireroom until the fires were put out by the rising waters.

Drummer William Magee (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 5, 1864, at Murfreesboro, Tennessee. His citation reads:

In a charge, was among the first to reach a battery of the enemy and, with one or two others, mounted the artillery horses and took two guns into the Union lines.


Dad’s Top 5 Books

5 - Gods and Generals: A Novel of the Civil War by Jeff Shaara

4 - The Cardinal of the Kremlin by Tom Clancy

3 - The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

2 - The Shoot Canoes, Don’t They? by Patrick F. McManus

1 - The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett


The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown

99 Sex, Lies, and Headlocks: The Real Story of Vince McMahon and World Wrestling Entertainment by: Mike Mooneyham and Shaun Assael *I played baseball with Mike's step-son Dusty at JIHS. I also played one summer for Mike after I got cut from the American Legion team. Very good family… and book.*

98 His Last Bow by: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

97 Watergate: A Novel by: Thomas Mallon *A great historical fiction look at the Watergate scandal.*

96 Work Hard, Study… and Keep Out of Politics!: Adventures and Lessons From an Unexpected Public Life by: James A. Baker III *Baker's probably the first non-president or SC politician that I remember.*

95 Apollyon: The Destroyer is Unleashed by: Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins

94 Moneyball by: Michael Lewis *The movie was good but the book was great.*

93 A March To Madness: The View From The Floor In The ACC by: John Feinstein *I remember reading this book during my lunch break when I was working for Santee Cooper

92 The Hound of The Baskervilles by: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

91 An Honorable Defeat: The Last Days of the Confederate Government by: William C. Davis *This is the first book I remember reading that talked about the end of the Civil War. Most books act like once Lee surrendered, the war was over.*

90 The Twelve: The Lives of the Apostles After Calvary by: C. Bernard Ruffin

89 The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by: C. S. Lewis

88 The Return of Sherlock Holmes by: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle


Picture Tuesday

Came across this fella while I was walking.  I'm usually a live and let live kind of guy, but since there were some kids riding their bikes near this snake I decided to live and let die.  I didn't have my trusty hatchet this time, so I went with the simple heal stomp.  I then tossed him into the woods as a warning to the other snakes. 

On a different walk, I found this little fella (the baby turtle, not my keys)... 

Mary Ruth coming down the slide...

Susie coming down the slide...

Daniel came down the slide a little faster than I thought... and then had a pretty hard landing, but he bounced up like a trooper...
 
He had fun in the swing...
 
The girls were spinning around so I took a quick pic before I had to turn away (I was about to get sick)

No comments:

Post a Comment