Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown (171-157)

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Leonidas S. Lytle (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 8-11, 1873, near Fort Selden, New Mexico. His citation reads:

Services against hostile Indians.

Corporal Jeptha L. Lytton (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 28, 1876, near Fort Hartsuff, Nebraska. His citation reads:

Gallantry in charge on hostile Sioux.

Lieutenant Colonel George L. Mabry, Jr. (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 20, 1944, at Hurtgen Forest near Schevenhutte, Germany. His citation reads:

He was commanding the 2d Battalion, 8th Infantry, in an attack through the Hurtgen Forest on 20 November 1944. During the early phases of the assault, the leading elements of his battalion were halted by a minefield and immobilized by heavy hostile fire. Advancing alone into the mined area, Col. Mabry established a safe route of passage. He then moved ahead of the foremost scouts, personally leading the attack, until confronted by a boobytrapped double concertina obstacle outs, he disconnected the explosives and cut a path through the wire. Upon moving through the opening, he observed 3 enemy in foxholes whom he captured at bayonet point. Driving steadily forward he paced the assault against 3 log bunkers which housed mutually supported automatic weapons. Racing up a slope ahead of his men, he found the initial bunker deserted, then pushed on to the second where he was suddenly confronted by 9 onrushing enemy. Using the butt of his rifle, he felled 1 adversary and bayoneted a second, before his scouts came to his aid and assisted him in overcoming the others in hand-to-hand combat. Accompanied by the riflemen, he charged the third bunker under pointblank small arms fire and led the way into the fortification from which he prodded 6 enemy at bayonet point. Following the consolidation of this area, he led his battalion across 300 yards of fire-swept terrain to seize elevated ground upon which he established a defensive position which menaced the enemy on both flanks, and provided his regiment a firm foothold on the approach to the Cologne Plain. Col. Mabry's superlative courage, daring, and leadership in an operation of major importance exemplify the finest characteristics of the military service.


There are a couple of videos I’ve seen recently that have made me laugh… thought you might like them too. If not, oh well… they still make me laugh. One is below and one can be seen if you click here...



The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown

171 The Baseball Codes: Beanballs, Sign Stealing, & Bench-Clearing Brawls: The unwritten rules of America's pastime by: Jason Turbow  *This is a GREAT book about the "inside" game of baseball.*

170 Why My Wife Thinks I'm an Idiot: The Life and Times of a Sportscaster Dad by: Mike Greenberg

169 As They See 'Em: A fan's travels in the land of umpires by: Bruce Weber  *It's not enough to make you love umps... but it does give a very good behind the scenes look at being an umpire.  Very interesting.*

168 Star Wars: The Last Command by: Timothy Zahn  *This is the 3rd book of the Thrawn Trilogy - this is the trilogy I credit with bringing Star Wars back.*

167 Psych: A Fatal Frame Of Mind by: William Rabkin

166 Secret Sanction by: Brian Haig

165 Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back by: Donald Glut

164 Dave Barry's Greatest Hits by: Dave Barry

163 Muhammad Ali's Greatest Fight: Cassius Clay vs. The United States of America by: Howard Bingham

162 Odd Man Out: A year on the mound with a minor league misfit by: Matt McCarthy  *Want to know what it's like to be in the minors?  Read this book.

161 I May Be Wrong… But I Doubt It by: Charles Barkley 

160 Lucky Man by: Michael J. Fox  *I really like Michael J. Fox... this was a pretty good book.*

159 The Valley of Fear by: Arthur C. Doyle

158 Red Hot Lies by: Laura Caldwell

157 The Red Zone by: Tim Green


No comments:

Post a Comment