Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, April 26, 2013

Congrats Danny (yes, that Danny) and our Favorite Nurse Jen!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Coxswain John W. Lloyd (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 25, 1864, on board the U.S.S. Wyalusing. His citation reads:

Serving on board the U.S.S. Wyalusing during an attempt to destroy the rebel ram Albemarle in Roanoke River, 25 May 1864, Lloyd participated in this daring plan by swimming the Roanoke River heavily weighted with a line which was used for hauling torpedoes across. Thwarted by discovery just before the completion of the plan, Lloyd cut the torpedo guiding line to prevent detection of the plan by the enemy and again swam the river, narrowly escaping enemy musket fire and regaining the ship in safety.

Private Donald R. Lobaugh (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 22, 1944, near Afua, New Guinea. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty near Afua, New Guinea, on 22 July 1944. While Pvt. Lobaugh's company was withdrawing from its position on 21 July, the enemy attacked and cut off approximately 1 platoon of our troops. The platoon immediately occupied, organized, and defended a position, which it held throughout the night. Early on 22 July, an attempt was made to effect its withdrawal, but during the preparation therefor, the enemy emplaced a machinegun, protected by the fire of rifles and automatic weapons, which blocked the only route over which the platoon could move. Knowing that it was the key to the enemy position, Pfc. Lobaugh volunteered to attempt to destroy this weapon, even though in order to reach it he would be forced to work his way about 30 yards over ground devoid of cover. When part way across this open space he threw a hand grenade, but exposed himself in the act and was wounded. Heedless of his wound, he boldly rushed the emplacement, firing as he advanced. The enemy concentrated their fire on him, and he was struck repeatedly, but he continued his attack and killed 2 more before he was himself slain. Pfc. Lobaugh's heroic actions inspired his comrades to press the attack, and to drive the enemy from the position with heavy losses. His fighting determination and intrepidity in battle exemplify the highest traditions of the U.S. Armed Forces.

Private Lewis Locke (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 5, 1865, at Paines Crossroads, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of a Confederate flag.


While I’ve known for about 8 or 9 weeks now, I’ve been keeping a lid on this news until I was sure Danny’s mom had a chance to tell everyone she knew (and it seems she knows a lot of people)… I’m pretty sure it’s ok now for me to say this (since I saw talk of it on Facebook), but CONGRATS to Danny and Jen on the big news that they are having twins!! Knowing Danny like I do… let’s just say Jen should find twins easy to take care of after having to take care of that big baby for so many years.

Speaking of Danny, he had great seats for BB King this past Tuesday. I like BB King. Funny how when a pot (AND burner) are needed, Danny remembers my number but when BB King tickets are involved, well, no need to call Greg.

I know Danny will blame Jen, but I don’t. I figure she probably knew that Tuesday was an all-new NCIS and that I didn’t want to miss it.

By the way, our Favorite Nurse Jen is now our Favorite Award Winning Nurse Jen (see pic below). So she's growing two babies AND winning awards... Like you, I can't help but ask "What the hell is Danny doing?"

Jen's the one in the middle


So you may remember I said something on here Monday about going to the doctor for a physical because The Wife ratted me out to him. I would just like to say thank you to my friend Cory for texting me to see how things went. Did Sonny call/text/email me? No. How about Teresa Lynn? Nope. I hope they think long and hard about that.

Since I know you, dear reader, are worried… don’t. I’m going to explain a difference here between me and The Wife. I came home after the appointment to change and go to work. The Wife asked how the visit went. I said, “Great! He didn’t do a prostate exam”. I then handed her some paper the doctor’s office gave me. She yells, “You have hypertension!” to which I reply, “Yeah, but he said we won’t worry about doing a prostate exam until I’m 40!” She didn’t seem nearly as happy with the visit as I was…

The doctor did tell me my blood pressure was high (140/90). I had two solid arguments that I don’t think he bought but I still stand by. #1 – the nurse took my blood pressure BEFORE I was told “No prostate exam until I’m 40”. #2 – I don’t think 140/90 is all that bad for someone as big as me. Fyi… When the doctor says your blood pressure is 140/90, he doesn’t want you to respond with “I’ve seen worse”.

I was going to give you a little Baltimore baseball fact today, but I was just informed that Earl Weaver is no longer the manager… so it seems I’ll have to do a little research before I can start sharing some info with you.


Flashback Friday

Me in my long-hair hippie days doing homework...

Da and MaMa...

Another one of Da and MaMa

Da with his brothers and sisters - True story... I've decided to name all of my future dogs after Da's siblings

Da and Dad at one of Sonny's baseball games - From the looks on their faces, Sonny probably just struck out or committed an error...

Dad, Da, MaMa and Uncle Keith - This was MaMa and Da's 50th Anniversary

I stole this pic from our Favorite Award Winning Nurse Jen's facebook page because I thought it was pretty cool.  Congrats again to her and Danny!!

No comments:

Post a Comment