Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, February 15, 2013

Reading

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private First Class Richard Edward Kraus (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 5, 1944, on Peleliu, Palau Islands. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with the 8th Amphibious Tractor Battalion, Fleet Marine Force, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Peleliu, Palau Islands, on 5 October 1944. Unhesitatingly volunteering for the extremely hazardous mission of evacuating a wounded comrade from the front lines, Pfc. Kraus and 3 companions courageously made their way forward and successfully penetrated the lines for some distance before the enemy opened with an intense, devastating barrage of hand grenades which forced the stretcher party to take cover and subsequently abandon the mission. While returning to the rear, they observed 2 men approaching who appeared to be marines and immediately demanded the password. When, instead of answering, 1 of the 2 Japanese threw a hand grenade into the midst of the group, Pfc. Kraus heroically flung himself upon the grenade and, covering it with his body, absorbed the full impact of the explosion and was instantly killed. By his prompt action and great personal valor in the face of almost certain death, he saved the lives of his 3 companions, and his loyal spirit of self-sacrifice reflects the highest credit upon himself and the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his comrades.

Coxswain Ernest Krause (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 11, 1898, on board the USS Nashville. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Nashville during the operation of cutting the cable leading from Cienfuegos, Cuba, 11 May 1898. Facing the heavy fire of the enemy, Krause displayed extraordinary bravery and coolness throughout this action.

First Sergeant Wendelin Kreher (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions from October 21, 1876 – January 8, 1877, at Cedar Creek, etc., Montana. His citation reads:

Gallantry in action.


I’m going to take a minute here to brag about Mary Ruth. I feel like I don’t brag about her enough and I’m willing to blame my parents for that. I grew up thinking that parents shouldn’t brag about their children because I never heard my parents brag about their children. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized that I never heard them brag about Sonny or Teresa Lynn because… well… how can I say this in a nice way… there just wasn’t much to brag about. “Oh, Sonny said his first words!” is great if he’s a baby… doesn’t sound so great if he’s a junior in high school. You see what I mean? Anyway, I didn’t hear them brag about me because… well… I was tooting my own horn so loud that it was hard for me to hear anything.



Anyway, back to Mary Ruth… She’s been reading like a champ. Last week, she wanted to borrow a book from the school library but she wasn’t allowed because that book is a “4th Grade” book and she’s only in 1st Grade. So they let her get two 2nd grade books and told her if she could read them and turn in a report about them, she could get this other book she wanted. Well, she came home and read the first book that night. The next night she read the second book. On Saturday, she wrote both reports. Also on Saturday, The Wife went online to the county library and borrowed 3 digital books… I’m not sure exactly how long they were but I think each was about 8 chapters long with about 70 or 80 pages (maybe a little more)… Mary Ruth read them all that day. The Wife looked it up and all of them were on a 3rd Grade reading level (known in my house as the Teresa Lynn Reading Level). Pretty soon she’ll be up to the Sonny Reading Level (8th Grade) and then she’ll be on my level (too high to test). My hope is that Susie and Daniel will also pick up my love of reading, but even if they don’t at least I have one child who loves reading as much as me. Oh yeah, she was able to borrow the book she wanted this past Wednesday and she should be done reading it by tonight.


Flashback Friday
The Grandkids with Daniel in his own little world

Da had a shot to hold Daniel... Daniel wasn't thrilled

Happy Boy with his Mommy

Not so happy with his Daddy

In Mom and Dad's backyard

Daniel talking to Austin about the pros and cons of the man-to-man defense in basketball compared to the zone defense

The whole family in front of Mom and Dad's house

Austin giving Daniel a lift

No comments:

Post a Comment