Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A couple of thoughts...

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Hermann William Kuchneister (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 11, 1898, on board the USS Marblehead. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Marblehead during the operation of cutting the cable leading from Cienfuegos, Cuba, 11 May 1898. Facing ;he heavy fire of the enemy, Kuchneister displayed extraordinary bravery and coolness throughout this action.

Second Lieutenant Andrew Kuder (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 2, 1865, at Waynesboro, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag.

Lieutenant Jeremiah Kuder (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 1, 1864, at Jonesboro, Georgia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag of 8th and 19th Arkansas (C.S.A.).


If I hear that the “rich need to pay their fair share of taxes” one more time I think I’m going to throw up. I mean, stop it. If the rich aren’t paying any taxes, send the IRS after them. Otherwise, just shut up and do a better job spending the tax money they are paying. I’m not even sure the government would need to cut services… just do a better job managing the services they provide. But I know it’s easier for politicians to say the rich need to pay their fair share than it is to say we need to help those willing to help themselves and drop the freeloaders.

Another thing I’m having trouble with is the idea of raising the minimum wage. I have to admit, I’ve been lucky in that I don’t think I’ve ever made minimum wage (though I’ve been close)… But I don’t understand how this will help things. It’s still going to be the minimum wage. Is the thought that businesses will just eat this? What about the small businesses that can’t afford to eat it even if they wanted to? I would be willing to hear the argument for this… I think it would be great for people to make more. I’m not against that. The hard thing for me is understanding how this is going to work. Here is what I see if the minimum wage is raised… prices will go up and businesses will either stop hiring or will have to cut their workforce. I don’t understand how anything else will happen. Oh, and the people now making more money will still have trouble making ends meet. Please, someone explain this to me.


Picture Tuesday

A picture from a couple of Friday's ago when we camped out in the den (Daniel was only there for the first part of it)

Daniel at The Wife's parents house

After my father-in-law changed the brakes on The Wife's van, he let Daniel take his motorcycle for a spin

Susie on the new slide at the playground down the street from us

Daniel liked the slide, but overall we weren't thrilled with the changes they made to the park

Susie with her favorite person in the whole wide world

Daniel and Susie in Costco

I told Daniel we'd try this thing where when I give him the signal, he should act like something in the store hurt him and maybe they would give us money or give us something for free

He nailed it... except he couldn't stop laughing

This was nap time yesterday


No comments:

Post a Comment