Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Happy Birthday Uncle George!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private First Class Dexter J. Kerstetter (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 13, 1945, near Galiano, Luzon, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

He was with his unit in a dawn attack against hill positions approachable only along a narrow ridge paralleled on each side by steep cliffs which were heavily defended by enemy mortars, machineguns, and rifles in well-camouflaged spider holes and tunnels leading to caves. When the leading element was halted by intense fire that inflicted 5 casualties, Pfc. Kerstetter passed through the American line with his squad. Placing himself well in advance of his men, he grimly worked his way up the narrow steep hogback, meeting the brunt of enemy action. With well-aimed shots and rifle-grenade fire, he forced the Japs to take cover. He left the trail and moving down a cliff that offered only precarious footholds, dropped among 4 Japs at the entrance to a cave, fired his rifle from his hip and killed them all. Climbing back to the trail, he advanced against heavy enemy machinegun, rifle, and mortar fire to silence a heavy machinegun by killing its crew of 4 with rifle fire and grenades. He expended his remaining ammunition and grenades on a group of approximately 20 Japs, scattering them, and returned to his squad for more ammunition and first aid for his left hand, which had been blistered by the heat from his rifle. Resupplied, he guided a fresh platoon into a position from which a concerted attack could be launched, killing 3 hostile soldiers on the way. In all, he dispatched 16 Japs that day. The hill was taken and held against the enemy's counterattacks, which continued for 3 days. Pfc. Kerstetter's dauntless and gallant heroism was largely responsible for the capture of this key enemy position, and his fearless attack in the face of great odds was an inspiration to his comrades in their dangerous task.

Private First Class Patrick L. Kessler (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 23, 1944, near Ponte Rotto, Italy. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty. Pfc. Kessler, acting without orders, raced 50 yards through a hail of machinegun fire, which had killed 5 of his comrades and halted the advance of his company, in order to form an assault group to destroy the machinegun. Ordering 3 men to act as a base of fire, he left the cover of a ditch and snaked his way to a point within 50 yards of the enemy machinegun before he was discovered, whereupon he plunged headlong into the furious chain of automatic fire. Reaching a spot within 6 feet of the emplacement he stood over it and killed both the gunner and his assistant, jumped into the gun position, overpowered and captured a third German after a short struggle. The remaining member of the crew escaped, but Pfc. Kessler wounded him as he ran. While taking his prisoner to the rear, this soldier saw 2 of his comrades killed as they assaulted an enemy strongpoint, fire from which had already killed 10 men in the company. Turning his prisoner over to another man, Pfc. Kessler crawled 35 yards to the side of 1 of the casualties, relieved him of his BAR and ammunition and continued on toward the strongpoint, 125 yards distant. Although 2 machineguns concentrated their fire directly on him and shells exploded within 10 yards, bowling him over, Pfc. Kessler crawled 75 yards, passing through an antipersonnel minefield to a point within 50 yards of the enemy and engaged the machineguns in a duel. When an artillery shell burst within a few feet of him, he left the cover of a ditch and advanced upon the position in a slow walk, firing his BAR from the hip. Although the enemy poured heavy machinegun and small arms fire at him, Pfc. Kessler succeeded in reaching the edge of their position, killed the gunners, and captured 13 Germans. Then, despite continuous shelling, he started to the rear. After going 25 yards, Pfc. Kessler was fired upon by 2 snipers only 100 yards away. Several of his prisoners took advantage of this opportunity and attempted to escape; however, Pfc. Kessler hit the ground, fired on either flank of his prisoners, forcing them to cover, and then engaged the 2 snipers in a fire fight, and captured them. With this last threat removed, Company K continued its advance, capturing its objective without further opposition. Pfc. Kessler was killed in a subsequent action.

Rear Admiral Isaac Campbell Kidd (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 7, 1941, on board the USS Arizona. His citation reads:

For conspicuous devotion to duty, extraordinary courage and complete disregard of his own life, during the attack on the Fleet in Pearl Harbor, by Japanese forces on 7 December 1941. Rear Adm. Kidd immediately went to the bridge and, as Commander Battleship Division One, courageously discharged his duties as Senior Officer Present Afloat until the U.S.S. Arizona, his Flagship, blew up from magazine explosions and a direct bomb hit on the bridge which resulted in the loss of his life.


Today we’d like to wish my Uncle George a very happy birthday! While I enjoy talking to him and hearing his stories (especially from his childhood in jolly ol’ Cuba), The Wife likes him more for clearing up a little misunderstanding I had with the IRS a few years back and for getting “the man” to send us back some money every tax season (she’s so materialistic). We both like how good he is with our kids. And I’ve probably told you this before, but it’s worth repeating… When I graduated from college, Uncle George told me if I ever needed a place to stay, I was welcome at their house. Dad told me the same thing, except the words he used were “Get a job”. Anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Uncle George! We love you!

We also can’t let this day go by without remembering a couple of loved ones we lost on January 15. The first is my grandfather (Da) who passed away 18 years ago today. The second is our “first born” Lucy, who passed away 2 years ago. Both are missed every day…

A few more stories from last week…

The first room they put us in is reserved for tuberculosis patients. The reason for this room assignment, I’m sure, is that since they weren’t real sure what Daniel had, they were hoping he would get tuberculosis and then they’d be able to diagnosis it. I know a good idea when I see one. I was assured, of course, that we had nothing to worry about being in that room and I believe them. I’m sure it’s just allergies causing me to cough up blood right now. I’m not worried. Anyway, when a bigger room came open Jen was kind enough to ask me if I’d like it. I told her she could let Daniel and The Wife have it (since I was staying at home with the girls). That’s the difference between my favorite Children’s Hospital and the “Medical Center” (their words, not mine) where our kids were born. There, I was completely ignored unless I was needed (hold a leg, pay the bill… stuff like that). At this place, I was offered my own separate room close (but not too close, of course) to The Wife and my sick little Daniel.

The Wife was told at about 11:45am last Thursday that Daniel was being discharged that day. They didn’t get out of there until 4:00. I know you think this bothered me, but it didn’t. Word on the street is if they don’t discharge you within 30 minutes of telling you you’re being discharged, then your visit is free. So far, we haven’t paid them anything so I guess that’s true.

Adriane wasn’t the only preacher to stop by to see us. KC also sent the senior pastor (Bob) by to see how we were doing. That KC, when he does something he does it right.

We had a number of visitors come by (including Michael, my brother-in-law… not my extremely germaphobic banker) and we are very thankful for them (and for all who wanted to visit, but weren’t able to). We’re also very thankful for all of you out there who prayed for Daniel and for the rest of us.

While The Wife was with Daniel down at the 7A Bed and Breakfast, I had to get Mary Ruth to school each day and Susie to daycare. This is usually something The Wife does because I’m typically at work by the time they leave the house. Anyway, I’m happy to say that Mary Ruth wasn’t late any of the days I took her to school. This, of course, had nothing at all to do with me and everything to do with Mary Ruth getting up like a big girl and picking out clothes for her and Susie to wear. Both girls also did a great job waking up without any trouble and eating their breakfast fast.

One last thing… Tuesday night while I was home with the girls, Susie came up to me (real sad) and said, “Daddy… I sorry I got Daniel sick”. I, of course, told her it wasn’t her fault Daniel was sick. She then said, “No, I was coughing and then Daniel was coughing. I made him sick”. Again, I assured her it wasn’t her fault he was sick. She then yelled at me, “No! I cough, Daniel cough! I made him sick!”


Picture Tuesday




Daniel sleeping on his Mommy
This is how Daniel acted when he got to spend time with me while The Wife took a shower

You can always tell who is in charge by seeing who has their name at the top.  I'm just sayin...

I did get him to sleep in my arms one time

Our little Super-Daniel once he started feeling better

Happy boy

My office sent him a gift.  He was pointing out "Mouse" to us

You can't really tell it, but he's "shooting" The Wife because she told him to clean up

When we moved into our new room, the board was empty and there was a marker sitting there.  Let this be a lesson for all you nurses out there

Sleeping baby boy

Daniel and Susie playing together after Daniel came home.  It's a little blurry, but I couldn't get them to stay still long enough to take a picture.

Susie, Daniel and Mary Ruth watching a video that Teresa Lynn sent to them

Me under my afghan of many colors that Aunt Yvonne made for me.  I let Aunt Yvonne, Mary Ruth and Susie get in the picture with me... though I told them they couldn't touch the afghan (only Aunt Yvonne listened to me)

No comments:

Post a Comment