Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, January 21, 2013

Happy Anniversary Super Bowl XIII!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Major/Quartermaster Horatio C. King (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 31, 1865, near Dinwiddie Courthouse, Virginia. His citation reads:

While serving as a volunteer aide, carried orders to the reserve brigade and participated with it in the charge which repulsed the enemy.

Ordinary Seaman Hugh King (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 7, 1871, on board the USS Iroquois. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Iroquois, Delaware River, 7 September 1871. Jumping overboard at the imminent risk of his life, King rescued one of the crew of that vessel from drowning.

Watertender John King (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 29, 1901, on board the USS Vicksburg AND on October 19, 1909, on board the USS Salem. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Vicksburg, for heroism in the line of his profession at the time of the accident to the boilers, 29 May 1901. SECOND MEDAL G.O. No.: 40, 19 October 1909. Citation: Watertender, serving on board the U.S.S. Salem, for extraordinary heroism in the line of his profession on the occasion of the accident to one of the boilers of that vessel, 13 September 1909.


We hope all of you have a good Martin Luther King, Jr. Day today. While it’s true that I, in general, do not like “protests”… I do like the non-violent approach Dr. King took.

Today we’d like to wish the Pittsburgh Steelers a happy 34th Anniversary of their big win over the Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl XIII (played on January 21, 1979). As you know, this win for the Pittsburgh is the reason I am a Steelers fan. I cannot begin to tell you how often I thank God during the NFL season that the Cowboys didn’t win Super Bowl XIII (which, I’m sure, would have made me a Cowboys fan).

Today would have been Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson’s 189th Birthday were he still with us. Before I forget (again), last Saturday would have been Robert E. Lee’s 206th Birthday. I’m not one to dwell on “what if’s” (ok, I probably am one to dwell on what if’s, but I try not to), but I’m as certain about what I’m about to say as I am about anything. Ever since I read my first book on the Civil War (many, many years ago), I have been convinced of two things. #1 – If Robert E. Lee had taken the offer to lead the Union Army, the war would have last a month… maybe two at most. #2 – Had Stonewall Jackson not been fatally wounded by friendly fire, the South would have won. But, alas, the war lasted longer than two months and the South didn’t win.

No comments:

Post a Comment