Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, January 25, 2013

Flashback Friday

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Corporal John Kinsey (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 18, 1864, at Spotsylvania, Virginia. His citation reads:

Seized the colors, the color bearer having been shot, and with great gallantry succeeded in saving them from capture.

Private First Class Thomas James Kinsman (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on February 6, 1968, near Vinh Long, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty Sp4c. Kinsman (then Pfc.) distinguished himself in action in the afternoon while serving as a rifleman with Company B, on a reconnaissance-in-force mission. As his company was proceeding up a narrow canal in armored troops carriers, it came under sudden and intense rocket, automatic weapons and small-arms fire from a well entrenched Viet Cong force. The company immediately beached and began assaulting the enemy bunker complex. Hampered by exceedingly dense undergrowth which limited visibility to 10 meters, a group of 8 men became cut off from the main body of the company. As they were moving through heavy enemy fire to effect a link-up, an enemy soldier in a concealed position hurled a grenade into their midst. Sp4c. Kinsman immediately alerted his comrades of the danger, then unhesitatingly threw himself on the grenade and blocked the explosion with his body. As a result of his courageous action, he received severe head and chest wounds. Through his indomitable courage, complete disregard for his personal safety and profound concern for his fellow soldiers, Sp4c. Kinsman averted loss of life and injury to the other 7 men of his element. Sp4c. Kinsman's extraordinary heroism at the risk of his life, above and beyond the call of duty, are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.

Major Dennis T. Kirby (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 22, 1863, at Vicksburg, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Seized the colors when the color bearer was killed and bore them himself in the assault.


Flashback Friday

Mom, me and Teresa Lynn... And I think that's Dad in the back with his hands up

The Wife with me and Dach

This cute little fella is me at 3 years old


4 Generations of Bethany UMC members - Granny, Mom, me and Mary Ruth

Back in the day I was a football player (#44 like Levon Kirkland)
I played TE and DE/OLB - and never lost a game (in the two years that I played)


Sonny with his prom date - she must have lost a bet

Me with my prom date - she won a bet... Ok, not really... but true story: My senior year before my 2nd period class I would stand in the hall and talk to my good friend Adam (who was the star pitcher/QB at our high school).  This nice girl (who I won't name because I don't want to shame her by letting people know she went to prom with me) would always walk up and say hi to Adam and talk for a little while until the bell rang (at which point we'd all go our own way).  Note - she'd never talk to me.  She wasn't mean about it, she just acted like she couldn't see me standing right next to Adam (she'd make a perfect nurse at the "Medical Center" where The Wife had our children).  Well it was getting close to time to find a prom date and, to make this long story a little shorter, I made a bet with Adam.  I told him one Monday morning that if this girl talked to me that morning, I would ask her to prom.  She walked up and said, "Hey Greg" - first words out of her mouth. So I asked her to prom and she then went around the rest of the day telling everyone she was going to prom with the hottest guy at our school (look at the pic... I'd have to agree with her).  Ok, that last part may or may not be true, but everything before that was.  As for Sonny's date, I am pretty sure she lost a bet and my guess is at the end of the night she went home and said, "Well, that's a part of my life I'll never get back". 

No comments:

Post a Comment