Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, December 28, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARY RUTH!!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

First Sergeant Alexander Kelly (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 29, 1864, at Chapins Farm, Virginia. His citation reads:

Gallantly seized the colors, which had fallen near the enemy's lines of abatis, raised them and rallied the men at a time of confusion and in a place of the greatest danger.

Corporal Charles E. Kelly (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 13, 1943, near Altavilla, Italy. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty. On 13 September 1943, near Altavilla, Italy, Cpl. Kelly voluntarily joined a patrol which located and neutralized enemy machinegun positions. After this hazardous duty he volunteered to establish contact with a battalion of U.S. infantry which was believed to be located on Hill 315, a mile distant. He traveled over a route commanded by enemy observation and under sniper, mortar, and artillery fire; and later he returned with the correct information that the enemy occupied Hill 315 in organized positions. Immediately thereafter Cpl. Kelly, again a volunteer patrol member, assisted materially in the destruction of 2 enemy machinegun nests under conditions requiring great skill and courage. Having effectively fired his weapon until all the ammunition was exhausted, he secured permission to obtain more at an ammunition dump. Arriving at the dump, which was located near a storehouse on the extreme flank of his regiment's position, Cpl. Kelly found that the Germans were attacking ferociously at this point. He obtained his ammunition and was given the mission of protecting the rear of the storehouse. He held his position throughout the night. The following morning the enemy attack was resumed. Cpl. Kelly took a position at an open window of the storehouse. One machine gunner had been killed at this position and several other soldiers wounded. Cpl. Kelly delivered continuous aimed and effective fire upon the enemy with his automatic rifle until the weapon locked from overheating. Finding another automatic rifle, he again directed effective fire upon the enemy until this weapon also locked. At this critical point, with the enemy threatening to overrun the position, Cpl. Kelly picked up 60mm. mortar shells, pulled the safety pins, and used the shells as grenades, killing at least 5 of the enemy. When it became imperative that the house be evacuated, Cpl. Kelly, despite his sergeant's injunctions, volunteered to hold the position until the remainder of the detachment could withdraw. As the detachment moved out, Cpl. Kelly was observed deliberately loading and firing a rocket launcher from the window. He was successful in covering the withdrawal of the unit, and later in joining his own organization. Cpl. Kelly's fighting determination and intrepidity in battle exemplify the highest traditions of the U.S. Armed Forces.

Sergeant Daniel Kelly (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 2, 1865, at Waynesboro, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag.


Today we would like to wish my sweet Mary Ruth a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY! In all honesty, she’s the sweetest girl I know and she’s the only one in my house (other than Maverick) who seems to love me all the time at any time. She’s also a great big sister who does a GREAT job taking care of her little sister and little brother. I don’t know what I’d do without her. Happy Birthday Mary Ruth!!!!!


The I’m just sayin… Know Your South Carolina Athlete

The SC athlete we are looking at today is former Stratford and USC great Harold Green. Harold Green, Jr. (born January 29, 1968 in Ladson, SC), is a former NFL player who was selected by the Cincinnati Bengals in the 2nd round of the 1990 NFL Draft. He attended Stratford High School in Goose Creek, SC. A 6'2", 222-lb running back, he played for the University of South Carolina, where he rushed for 2,617 yards, caught 76 passes for 661 yards, and scored 26 touchdowns in three seasons. Green played 9 NFL seasons from 1990 to 1998. His best year as a pro came during the 1992 season as a member of the Bengals, rushing for 1,170 yards with 41 receptions.

The Revolutionary War Heroes have had some great running backs over the years and I’d put Harold Green up there with any of them. He was a great player. Congrats to Harold Green on being our SC Athlete you should know.


Thanks Wikipedia!

No comments:

Post a Comment