Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Picture Time

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Unidentified Italian Soldier received his Medal of Honor for his actions in World War I. His citation reads:

* * * By virtue of a joint resolution of Congress, approved 12 October 1921, the Medal of Honor, emblem of highest ideals and virtues, is bestowed in the name of the Congress of the United States upon the unknown, unidentified Italian soldier to be buried in the National Monument to Victor Emanuel 11, in Rome. Whereas the Congress has authorized the bestowal of the Congressional Medal of Honor upon unknown, unidentified British and French soldiers buried in Westminster Abbey, London, England, and the Arc de Triomphe, Paris, France, respectively, who fought beside our soldiers in the recent war, and Whereas, animated by the same spirit of friendship toward the soldiers of Italy who also fought as comrades of the American soldiers during the World War, we desire to add whatever we can to the imperishable glory won by their deeds and to participate in paying tribute to their unknown dead: Now, therefore. be it resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That the President of the United States be, and he is hereby, authorized to bestow, with appropriate ceremonies, military and civil, the Congressional Medal of Honor upon the unknown, unidentified Italian soldier to be buried in the National Monument to Victor Emanuel 11, in Rome, Italy (A.G. 220.523) (War Department General Orders, No. 52, I Dec. 1922, Sec. II).

Chief Carpenter’s Mate Franz Anton Itrich (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 1, 1898, on board the USS Petrel. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Petrel, Manila, Philippine Islands, 1 May 1898. Serving in the presence of the enemy, Itrich displayed heroism during the action.

Lieutenant Edouard Victor Michel Izac (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 21, 1918, aboard German submarine U-90 as preisoner of war. His citation reads:

When the U.S.S. President Lincoln was attacked and sunk by the German submarine U-90, on 21 May 1918, Lt. Izac was captured and held as a prisoner on board the U-90 until the return of the submarine to Germany, when he was confined in the prison camp. During his stay on the U-90 he obtained information of the movements of German submarines which was so important that he determined to escape, with a view to making this information available to the U.S. and Allied Naval authorities. In attempting to carry out this plan, he jumped through the window of a rapidly moving train at the imminent risk of death, not only from the nature of the act itself but from the fire of the armed German soldiers who were guarding him. Having been recaptured and reconfined, Lt. Izac made a second and successful attempt to escape, breaking his way through barbed-wire fences and deliberately drawing the fire of the armed guards in the hope of permitting others to escape during the confusion. He made his way through the mountains of southwestern Germany, having only raw vegetables for food, and at the end, swam the River Rhine during the night in the immediate vicinity of German sentries.


For any of you trying to plan for the Thanksgiving weekend, the Clemson/USC (or USC/Clemson, if you will) game will be at 7:00 on either ESPN or ESPN2.  I will probably prepare for this game the same way I am preparing for the Clemson/NC State game... watch DVDs of past games between the two teams that are so old they'll have nothing at all to do with current teams.


Picture Tuesday
 
A new sign on the wall in Winthrop Coliseum.  The person on the sign is former Winthrop great De'Andre Adams.

This is the sign behind our seats... The person on this sign is another former Winthrop great Michael Jenkins.  Little know fact (unless I already told you) - Jeremy and I used to sit by/near MJ's mom his last two seasons. 

Ross and me at our his and Yoko's Ginny's Reception. The hand holding was all his idea.  I mean, I didn't fight it... but it was his idea.

Another pic from the Reception... I think we were making a heart with our hands but I can't be too sure.  Honesly, I'd had enough to drink that I felt like I should send Ginny's dad a "Thank You" card.  I didn't send him one, but I felt like I should.

Susie was sick, so The Wife kept her home.  All Susie did was sleep.  She was so sick, I was told that I had to keep her home the next day (and take her to the doctor).

"Sick" Susie at the doctor's office the next day.

She talked... THE WHOLE DAY!  I mean... non-stop.

Our wedding gift to Ginny and Ross.  It was The Wife's idea.  I'm thinking of using it for all future weddings.  I mean, who wouldn't want a big blanket that has a picture of me and Ross on one side of it?


No comments:

Post a Comment