Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, November 29, 2012

LCS

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Henry Johnson (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 2-5, 1879, at Milk River, Colorado. His citation reads:

Voluntarily left fortified shelter and under heavy fire at close range made the rounds of the pits to instruct the guards, fought his way to the creek and back to bring water to the wounded.

Sergeant James E. Johnson (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 2, 1950, at Yudam-ni, Korea. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a squad leader in a provisional rifle platoon composed of artillerymen and attached to Company J, in action against enemy aggressor forces. Vastly outnumbered by a well-entrenched and cleverly concealed enemy force wearing the uniforms of friendly troops and attacking his platoon's open and unconcealed positions, Sgt. Johnson unhesitatingly took charge of his platoon in the absence of the leader and, exhibiting great personal valor in the face of a heavy barrage of hostile fire, coolly proceeded to move about among his men, shouting words of encouragement and inspiration and skillfully directing their fire. Ordered to displace his platoon during the fire fight, he immediately placed himself in an extremely hazardous position from which he could provide covering fire for his men. Fully aware that his voluntary action meant either certain death or capture to himself, he courageously continued to provide effective cover for his men and was last observed in a wounded condition single-handedly engaging enemy troops in close hand grenade and hand-to-hand fighting. By his valiant and inspiring leadership, Sgt. Johnson was directly responsible for the successful completion of the platoon's displacement and the saving of many lives. His dauntless fighting spirit and unfaltering devotion to duty in the face of terrific odds reflect the highest credit upon himself and the U.S. Naval Service.

Private John Johnson (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 13, 1862, at Fredericksburg, Virginia. His citation reads:

Conspicuous gallantry in battle in which he was severely wounded. While serving as cannoneer he manned the positions of fallen gunners.


The Living Christmas Story starts tonight at Bethany United Methodist Church in Summerville.  Come on out and see what all the fuss is about.


Thankful Thursday

Today I am thankful that a long time ago in a city far away, I surprised myself and decided to pledge Kappa Sigma. The surprise wasn’t so much going Kappa Sigma, it was more the fact that I was going to join any fraternity. I had already decided that I wasn’t going to join a bunch of hazing jerks… and looking back, I guess that was true. I didn’t join a bunch of hazing jerks. I joined a group of guys who, for the most part, had all thought they were never going to join a fraternity. I can’t say that I’m best friends with all of my fraternity brothers, but if you know me then you know that’s probably as much my fault as it is theirs. Still, as a whole, they are the best group of guys I know. A lot of times you hear people say joining a fraternity is just “paying for your friends”. If that is the case, it’s the best damn money I’ve ever spent. All of my friendships from college except one can probably be tied back in some way to Kappa Sigma. And that one exception is one of the biggest reasons I decided to join the fraternity. It’s easy to look back and see all the mistakes I’ve made… times I did this when I should have done that. But this is one decision I can look back on and smile knowing that I got it 100% right. And for that, I am thankful.


No one could tell me where my soul might be;
  I searched for God but He eluded me;
    I sought my brother out and found all three.

                 -Ernest Howard Crosby

No comments:

Post a Comment