Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private James T. Jennings (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 20, 1864, at Weldon Railroad, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag of 55th North Carolina Infantry (C.S.A.).

Private Gotfred Jensen (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 13, 1899, at San Miguel de Mayumo, Luzon, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

With 11 other scouts, without waiting for the supporting battalion to aid them or to get into a position to do so, charged over a distance of about 150 yards and completely routed about 300 of the enemy, who were in line and in a position that could only be carried by a frontal attack.

Major John L. Jerstad (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 1, 1943, at Ploesti Raid, Rumania. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty. On 1 August 1943, he served as pilot of the lead aircraft in his group in a daring low-level attack against enemy oil refineries and installations at Ploesti, Rumania. Although he had completed more than his share of missions and was no longer connected with this group, so high was his conception of duty that he volunteered to lead the formation in the correct belief that his participation would contribute materially to success in this attack. Maj. Jerstad led the formation into attack with full realization of the extreme hazards involved and despite withering fire from heavy and light antiaircraft guns. Three miles from the target his airplane was hit, badly damaged, and set on fire. Ignoring the fact that he was flying over a field suitable for a forced landing, he kept on the course. After the bombs of his aircraft were released on the target, the fire in his ship became so intense as to make further progress impossible and he crashed into the target area. By his voluntary acceptance of a mission he knew was extremely hazardous, and his assumption of an intrepid course of action at the risk of life over and above the call of duty, Maj. Jerstad set an example of heroism which will be an inspiration to the U.S. Armed Forces.


Thankful Thursday

Today, on the most thankful of all Thankful Thursdays, I am thankful for my family and friends… those who are still here and those who have passed. Great friends and family help get me through the hard times and make the good times that much better.

I am also thankful for sports. For me, sports are the great escape from reality. It doesn’t matter what is going on in the world, once I sit down to watch a game all my cares seem to go away.

And I can’t forget technology. I am very happy for technology… not just because without it I wouldn’t have this blog, but because it also allows me to watch old college football and basketball games. I even have our State Championship game from my junior year at JI on DVD. For Christmas, I might give Sonny DVDs of his high school State Championship games… Haha… Get it? Sonny didn’t play for a State Championship in high school. Really, it’s not as funny if I have to explain it to you… so try to keep up. One other great thing about technology is that it allows me to share the below clip with you. This is probably the greatest Thanksgiving TV moment in the history of this great country. Enjoy…


No comments:

Post a Comment