Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, October 25, 2012

Thankful for...

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

First Lieutenant Robert L. Howard (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 30, 1968, in the Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. 1st Lt. Howard (then Sfc .), distinguished himself while serving as platoon sergeant of an American-Vietnamese platoon which was on a mission to rescue a missing American soldier in enemy controlled territory in the Republic of Vietnam. The platoon had left its helicopter landing zone and was moving out on its mission when it was attacked by an estimated 2-company force. During the initial engagement, 1st Lt. Howard was wounded and his weapon destroyed by a grenade explosion. 1st Lt. Howard saw his platoon leader had been wounded seriously and was exposed to fire. Although unable to walk, and weaponless, 1st Lt. Howard unhesitatingly crawled through a hail of fire to retrieve his wounded leader. As 1st Lt. Howard was administering first aid and removing the officer's equipment, an enemy bullet struck 1 of the ammunition pouches on the lieutenant's belt, detonating several magazines of ammunition. 1st Lt. Howard momentarily sought cover and then realizing that he must rejoin the platoon, which had been disorganized by the enemy attack, he again began dragging the seriously wounded officer toward the platoon area. Through his outstanding example of indomitable courage and bravery, 1st Lt. Howard was able to rally the platoon into an organized defense force. With complete disregard for his safety, 1st Lt. Howard crawled from position to position, administering first aid to the wounded, giving encouragement to the defenders and directing their fire on the encircling enemy. For 3 1/2 hours 1st Lt. Howard's small force and supporting aircraft successfully repulsed enemy attacks and finally were in sufficient control to permit the landing of rescue helicopters. 1st Lt. Howard personally supervised the loading of his men and did not leave the bullet-swept landing zone until all were aboard safely. 1st Lt. Howard's gallantry in action, his complete devotion to the welfare of his men at the risk of his life were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit on himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.

First Sergeant Squire E. Howard (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 14, 1863, at Bayou Teche, Louisiana . His citation reads:

Voluntarily carried an important message through the heavy fire of the enemy to bring aid and save the gunboat Calhoun.

Lance Corporal James D. Howe (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 6, 1970, in the Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a rifleman with Company I, during operations against enemy forces. In the early morning hours L/Cpl. Howe and 2 other marines were occupying a defensive position in a sandy beach area fronted by bamboo thickets. Enemy sappers suddenly launched a grenade attack against the position, utilizing the cover of darkness to carry out their assault. Following the initial explosions of the grenades, L/Cpl. Howe and his 2 comrades moved to a more advantageous position in order to return suppressive fire. When an enemy grenade landed in their midst, L/Cpl. Howe immediately shouted a warning and then threw himself upon the deadly missile, thereby protecting the lives of the fellow marines. His heroic and selfless action was in keeping with the finest traditions of the Marine Corps and of the U.S. Naval Service. He valiantly gave his life in the service of his country.


Thankful Thursday

As I’m sure you can imagine, it’s hard being me sometimes. I’ve got kids climbing all over me and wanting me to carry them and, of course, The Wife hits me like I’m a punching bag whenever I make her mad… so let’s go with just about all of the time. Anyway, my neck and shoulders… and lower back… and knees have been killing me for the past 15 years or so. Ok, my knees and lower back have been hurting/bothering me since high school… but not so bad that I couldn’t live with it. But about 5 years or so ago I noticed that I couldn’t turn my head very far to the right. I could turn it a little with some pain but then I couldn’t really turn it any farther. So I learned to turn using my shoulders. About a week ago my neck and shoulders started really killing me to the point that I said to The Wife “My neck and shoulders are killing me”. She said I needed to a chiropractor. I said I wasn’t going to pay for someone to push around on my back and tell me to lose weight. So she got me an appointment with someone who she’d been to before. I’ve been twice and I think it’s safe to say that Dr. Tara Chellis is some kind of miracle worker. She snapped my neck around a couple of times and now I can turn it to the right. There is still a touch of pain… but not nearly as much as before. She’s also been working on my shoulders and lower back and I’m sure it won’t be long until they’re fixed. And speaking of my lower back, she said that being overweight (my words, not hers) wasn’t the cause of my pain. She said having a wife and 3 kids was. HA! I kid because I care. Really, she said my back pain was most likely due to having to carry Sonny and Teresa Lynn around their whole lives (figuratively and, in the case of Sonny, sometimes literally). 

My point in all of this is that The Wife made me go to the chiropractor and for that, I am VERY thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment