Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, October 26, 2012

Terry Kinard

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Musician Orion P. Howe (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 19, 1863, at Vicksburg, Mississippi. His citation reads:

A drummer boy, 14 years of age, and severely wounded and exposed to a heavy fire from the enemy, he persistently remained upon the field of battle until he had reported to Gen. W. T. Sherman the necessity of supplying cartridges for the use of troops under command of Colonel Malmborg.

Sergeant William H. Howe (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 25, 1865, at Fort Stedman, Virginia. His citation reads:

Served an abandoned gun under heavy fire.

Second Lieutenant Robert L. Howze (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 1, 1891, at White River, South Dakota. His citation reads:

Bravery in action.


The I’m just sayin… Know Your South Carolina Athlete

The South Carolina athlete you should know today is Clemson great Terry Kinard. Alfred Terance "Terry" Kinard (born November 24, 1959) is a former college and professional football player who was a safety in the National Football League for eight seasons during the 1980s and 1990s. As I said, he played college football at Clemson University, and was a two-time consensus All-American. He was a leader on the National Championship team and I guarandamntee you the Clemson secondary didn’t suck as bad when he was there as it does now. Kinard was selected in the first round of the 1983 NFL Draft, and played professionally for the NFL's New York Giants and Houston Oilers. Interestingly, Kinard was born in Bitburg, Germany. He attended Sumter High School in Sumter, South Carolina.

As I said before, he attended Clemson University, where he played for the Clemson Tigers football team from 1979 to 1982. Not only was he a two-time consensus first-team All-American he was also the CBS National Defensive Player of the Year in 1982 and selected to the USA Today All-College Football Team in the 1980s. Kinard is the all-time Clemson leader in interceptions with seventeen and tackles by a defensive back with 294. Terry was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2001.

The New York Giants selected Kinard in the first round (tenth pick overall) of the 1983 NFL Draft, and he played for the Giants from 1983 to 1989. He played his eighth and final season for the Houston Oilers in 1990. In his eight NFL seasons, Kinard played in 121 games, started 115 of them, made thirty-one interceptions and recovered seven fumbles.

Congrats to Terry Kinard for being the South Carolina Athlete you should know this week.


Thanks Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment