Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Saturday, October 20, 2012

Kid Show

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Master Sergeant Charles Ernest Hosking, Jr. (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 21, 1967, at Phuoc Long Province, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. M/Sgt. Hosking (then Sfc.), Detachment A-302, Company A, greatly distinguished himself while serving as company advisor in the III Corps Civilian Irregular Defense Group Reaction Battalion during combat operations in Don Luan District. A Viet Cong suspect was apprehended and subsequently identified as a Viet Cong sniper. While M/Sgt. Hosking was preparing the enemy for movement back to the base camp, the prisoner suddenly grabbed a hand grenade from M/Sgt. Hosking's belt, armed the grenade, and started running towards the company command group which consisted of 2 Americans and 2 Vietnamese who were standing a few feet away. Instantly realizing that the enemy intended to kill the other men, M/Sgt. Hosking immediately leaped upon the Viet Cong's back. With utter disregard for his personal safety, he grasped the Viet Cong in a "Bear Hug" forcing the grenade against the enemy soldier's chest. He then wrestled the Viet Cong to the ground and covered the enemy's body with his body until the grenade detonated. The blast instantly killed both M/Sgt. Hosking and the Viet Cong. By absorbing the full force of the exploding grenade with his body and that of the enemy, he saved the other members of his command group from death or serious injury. M/Sgt. Hosking's risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty are in the highest tradition of the U.S. Army and reflect great credit upon himself and the Armed Forces of his country.

Private Solomon J. Hottenstine (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 19, 1864, at Petersburg and Norfolk Railroad, Virginia. His citation reads:

Captured flag belonging to a North Carolina regiment, and through a ruse led them into the arms of Federal troops.

Private Ira Hough (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 19, 1864, at Cedar Creek, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag.


So, I’ve started watching Morning Joe (hosted by former Republican Congressman Joe Scarborough) on MSNBC. I don’t get to see much of it because it’s on when I’m getting ready for work, but the parts I do get to see are pretty good. I have to admit, I started watching the show because Tony Kornheiser started talking about it the other day on his radio show. I like the show because it kind of reminds me of his radio show. A group of adults sitting around a table talking about news/sports/politics… I like it. As far as news type shows go, it seems to be as close to the “middle” as anyone could hope. Let’s be honest here, no news shows are really completely in the middle as far as politics go. Still, this one isn’t too bad. From what I’ve seen, most of the group seem to be a little to the left, but not too much. Anyway, I tell you this to say that later in the day when I get home I turn on the TV and it’s still on MSNBC. From what I see on that station in the afternoon/night, I can only hope the DNC is paying for all of that air time. I mean WOW. Even some of the MSNBC commercials (with their “talent”) are ads telling people to vote for President Obama. Is there anywhere on TV where I can just get news? Or at least have people be honest? I know that smart people know that FOX leans to the right and MSNBC/CNN/ABC/CBS/PBS/NBC/etc. lean to the left (some more so than others)… what worries me is that some people who are allowed to vote are too stupid to know who is telling them what to think. If I want to know what to think, I’ll call Jeremy and ask him. But not everyone has a Jeremy. So I guess I can only hope that everyone who votes is able to think for themselves.


The I’m just sayin… Kid Show of the Week

Our Kid Show of the Week this week is Walker, Texas Ranger. Walker, Texas Ranger is an action crime drama series created by Leslie Greif and Paul Haggis, and starring Chuck Norris as a member of the Texas Ranger Division. The show aired on CBS in the spring of 1993, with the first season consisting of three pilot episodes. Eight full seasons followed with new episodes airing from September 25, 1993 to May 19, 2001 and reruns continuing on CBS until July 28, 2001. It was broadcast in over 100 countries, and has since spawned a made-for-television movie, entitled Trial By Fire. The movie ended on a cliffhanger, which, as of 2012, has not yet been resolved. DVD sets of all seasons have been released (with the three pilots packaged with the first regular season). At various times since 1997, reruns of the show have aired, in syndication, on the USA Network and Action in Canada. As of September 13, 2010, the series is shown on WGN America. The show was known for its moral values. For example, the characters refrained from the use of drugs, and they participated in community service. Martial arts were displayed prominently as the primary tool of law enforcement and occasionally as a tool for Walker and company to reach out to the community.

The show was initially developed by executive producer Allison Moore and supervising producer J. Michael Straczynski when the series was still being produced by Cannon Television. While Straczynski had to depart to get his new series Babylon 5 on the air, executive producer David Moessinger remained to finish developing the series. The show is centered on Cordell Walker (Norris), a Dallas-Fort Worth–based member of the Texas Rangers, a state-level bureau of investigation. Walker was raised by his paternal uncle, a Native American named Ray Firewalker (Floyd Red Crow Westerman). Cordell, prior to joining the Rangers, served in the Marines' elite recon unit during the Vietnam War. Both Cordell and Uncle Ray share the values characteristic of Wild West sheriffs. His partner and best friend is James "Jimmy" Trivette (Clarence Gilyard… of Matlock fame), a former Dallas Cowboys player, "Go Long T", who takes a more modern approach. Walker's young partner grew up in Baltimore and used football as his ticket to college education. He was dropped from the team after he tore up his shoulder in a major game, which led to his career in the Rangers (often making references to watching the "Lone Ranger" and how C.D. Parker mentored him as a Rookie Officer). Trivette also works inside the office using computers and cellular phones to collate information of the people who have been taken into custody. Walker also works closely (and shares a mutual attraction) with Alexandra "Alex" Cahill (Sheree J. Wilson), a Tarrant County Assistant District Attorney, who on occasion puts up a frown if Walker does not obtain results in time. He also gets advice on cases from C.D. Parker (Gailard Sartain (pilot season), Noble Willingham (seasons 1–7)), a veteran Ranger (later inducted into the Texas Rangers Hall of Fame) who worked with Walker until retiring to operate a small restaurant and bar called "CD's Bar and Grill", a restaurant widely known in the series for its chili. In Season 7 two rookie Texas Rangers, Sydney Cooke (Nia Peeples) and Francis Gage (Judson Mills), are assigned under Walker and Trivette's command.

It’s hard to go wrong with a TV show that has Chuck Norris in it. Which is why this is a great show to watch with kids.


Thanks Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment