Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, September 12, 2012

We’re doing great… keep going!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Carpenter Cyrus Hayden (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions during June 11, 1871, on board the USS Colorado. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Colorado during the attack and capture of the Korean forts, 11 June 1871. Serving as color bearer of the battalion, Hayden planted his flag on the ramparts of the citadel and protected it under a heavy fire from the enemy.

Hospital Apprentice First Class David E. Hayden (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 15, 1918, in Thiaucourt, France. His citation reads:

For gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. During the advance, when Cpl. Creed was mortally wounded while crossing an open field swept by machinegun fire, Hayden unhesitatingly ran to his assistance and, finding him so severely wounded as to require immediate attention, disregarded his own personal safety to dress the wound under intense machinegun fire, and then carried the wounded man back to a place of safety.

Apprentice John Hayden (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 15, 1879, on board the US Training Ship Saratoga. His citation reads:

On board the U.S. Training Ship Saratoga. On the morning of 15 July 1879, while the Saratoga was anchored off the Battery, in New York Harbor, R. L. Robey, apprentice, fell overboard. As the tide was running strong ebb, the man, not being an expert swimmer, was in danger of drowning. David M. Buchanan, apprentice, instantly, without removing any of his clothing, jumped after him. Stripping himself, Hayden stood coolly watching the 2 in the water, and when he thought his services were required, made a dive from the rail and came up alongside them and rendered assistance until all 3 were picked up by a boat from the ship.


Go here to donate to my Walk to End Alzheimer’s. When you go, you’ll see that I have reached my goal (and Team I’m just sayin… has reached its goal)… DON’T LET THIS KEEP YOU FROM GIVING! Right now my team is barely in 4th place… your donation can help me stay there (and maybe even push me into and higher place). It would really mean a lot to me for those of you who have given in the past to give again this year. You don’t have to give a ton of money… maybe just $450 instead of $500 (I don’t know, I’m just giving examples here). We are getting near the walk and I am still missing some longtime donors. I’m not going to name names because that’s not who I am… but I will say when one of you asked me to change banks, I did it. And when you asked me to pay to walk in a 5K, I did it. Again, I’m not calling anyone out here… but I used my body in the church hallway to help shield your twins so people wouldn’t touch them. I don’t ask for a lot… just a little help in my Walk.

I hope all of my friends at the local lumber company enjoyed reading that… because you’re next.


The I’m just sayin… Quote of the Week

For myself, I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else. - Winston Churchill

No comments:

Post a Comment