Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Oh Columbia…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Henry Heller (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 2, 1863, at Chancellorsville, Virginia. His citation reads:

One of a party of 4 who, under heavy fire, voluntarily brought into the Union lines a wounded Confederate officer from whom was obtained valuable information concerning the position of the enemy.

Private David H. Helms (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 22, 1863, at Vicksburg, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Gallantry in the charge of the "volunteer storming party."

Sergeant John Henry Helms (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 10, 1901, on board the USS Chicago. His citation reads:

Serving on board the U.S.S. Chicago, for heroism in rescuing Ishi Tomizi, ship's cook, from drowning at Montevideo, Uruguay, 10 January 1901.


Let me start by saying if you want to start a business selling black dresses (especially in children’s sizes), then Columbia during football season is where you want to be. That is the uniform for USC coeds. The shorter, the better it seems. Before I go on, I must say I don’t want you to think that I’m just picking on girls at USC football games… it’s just my research so far has only taken me to the middle of the state. Below you will find some pictures from this past Saturday. I could have taken a lot more if I didn’t have to worry about looking like “that guy”. I feel like I must point out that 2011 I’m just sayin… Fan of the Year Ashley was my main spotter for most of the “girl” pictures below. Danny (yes, that Danny) also pointed some of them out to me. My friend Cory (Husband of Ashley) tried to tell me that Mary Ruth would be like these girls in college… I told him my girls would be going to Charleston Southern and would only wear skirts down to their ankles.

The game itself was fun to watch. Two moments stick out to me. Once, early in the game, UAB got the ball and I told Danny (yes, that Danny) that I had a feeling the USC defense was going to get a turnover. Maybe not on this play, but at some point on this drive. Well, they didn’t get it on that play… or the next… or the next… or the… well, you get the point. BUT, just when it looked like UAB was going to be in position to score at least a FG, the Revolutionary War Heroes Defense not only got the turnover but returned it for a TD. I looked at Danny and said “I believe I had THAT one right!” The next moment was when USC was backed up to about their own 6 yard line. I told Danny (yes, that Danny) that USC needed to run the ball. They’ve got the running backs… give them the dang ball! The back-up Revolutionary War Hero QB then dropped back for a pass and hit Byrd for a 94 yard TD pass. I looked at Danny and said “I believe I had THAT one right!” (Danny had been drinking, so I figured if I said it with confidence, he might buy it).

The walk is this coming Saturday… So keep the donations coming! Go here to give.


Picture Tuesday




Lucas at the bar... He gets that from his daddy

Daniel in jail... He gets that from his mommy

Mary Ruth on the pony

I guess someone didn't get the black dress memo

I told Danny that I was pretty sure my boxers were longer than the skirt the girl in the middle was wearing.  I went on to tell him that if I had enough to drink, I might just go over there and prove it.  I didn't have enough to drink... but I am pretty sure that I'm right.

Girls up on a car... what are the odds alcohol is involved?

Note the girl in the white/tan mini-skirt... I'm pretty sure the shirt I was wearing went down farther than that skirt


That big screen on the other side of the field made me think of the Media Room at the lake house

Pre-game


Half-time

Call me old fashioned, but when I hear 2001 and see people holding up four fingers, I start looking for the Nature Boy (which I did... but I didn't see him)

Random picture of the crowd...

No comments:

Post a Comment