Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, August 30, 2012

HAPPY COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private William M. Harris (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 25, 1876, at Little Big Horn River, Montana. His citation reads:

Voluntarily brought water to the wounded under fire of the enemy.

Seaman Bolden Reush Harrison (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 24, 1911, on Basilan, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

While attached to the U.S.S. Pampang, Harrison was one of a shore party moving in to capture Mundang, on the island of Basilan, Philippine Islands, on 24 September 1911. Harrison instantly responded to the calls for help when the advance scout party investigating a group of nipa huts close to the trail, was suddenly taken under point-blank fire and rushed by approximately 20 enemy Moros attacking from inside the huts and from other concealed positions. Armed with a double-barreled shotgun, he concentrated his blasting fire on the outlaws, destroying 3 of the Moros and assisting in the rout of the remainder. By his aggressive charging of the enemy under heavy fire and in the face of great odds, Harrison contributed materially to the success of the engagement.

Seaman George H. Harrison (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 19, 1864, on board the USS Kearsarge. His citation reads:

Served on board the U.S.S. Kearsarge when she destroyed the Alabama off Cherbourg, France, 19 June 1864. Acting as sponger and loader of the 11-inch pivot gun during the bitter engagement, Harrison exhibited marked coolness and good conduct and was highly recommended for his gallantry under fire by the divisional officer.


What a great time of the year! The college football season kicks off tonight! The South Carolina Revolutionary War Heroes travel to the Vanderbilt Commodores where they’ll try to start the season with a win over an SEC rival. I’ve been asked if I was going to pick games this year. The answer to that is “No”. I don’t have time to research the games the way I did last season. I might throw out a prediction here or there, but this year I’m going to do it ESPN style (not keep track of how many times I’m right). As for the game tonight… I think it’s hard to pick.  My gut says the Revolutionary War Heroes will win this one without much trouble… but I can’t be 100% sure. Both schools are in the SEC which means both schools have that exclusive SEC SPEED (it seems there’s fast and then there’s SEC fast). Now, if you really want to break it down, the experts say that the SEC West is better than the SEC East. At first glance you might not think this matters, since both schools are in the (slower, I assume) SEC East. But wait! I did a little research and it seems that Vandy is (get this) farther west than the University of South Carolina (who knew?). So, if you really think about it, Vandy being farther west of USC should mean that they are the better of the two schools. Sure, they’re in the SEC East, but they’re far enough west that some of the SEC West super-speed should be rubbing off on them. Think this is stupid? Good… that means I’m just one step away from finding myself in an ESPN studio as an expert on college football.

Anyway… for the record I think USC will win. I have no idea what to think about the Clemson/Auburn game. Clemson has the skill players… but I’ll have to see the line play before I can tell you how I think their game will turn out. Ask me Sunday… I’ll have a better idea then.

Don’t forget!!! To join my team, visit the link below.

http://act.alz.org/goto/imjustsayin

If you join my team, please ask other people to donate. If you would “just” like to give, go to:

http://act.alz.org/goto/greghorres


Thankful Thursday

My original plan was to talk about how thankful I am that college football is starting (and I am thankful for that), but I’m going to call an audible and talk about something else right now. As you know, Labor Day is my favorite non-religious holiday hands down. It’s not even close. The reason for this is that it’s over the Labor Day Weekend that I get to see what I call my Labor Day Family. If there’s one thing I’ve learned from my parents (and there probably isn’t… but if there is) it’s friendship. My Dad is still good friends with guys he grew up with… we’re talking friendships close to 70 years old. Mom went to Columbia College (because that was as far as the horse would take her) where she roomed with Janie and Ralice (No… not a real name… if I remember correctly, the real person didn’t want me to use her real name… so that’s that). I’m not a math teacher or anything, but I believe this was around 48 years ago (give or take a year or two)… and they’re still friends! I don’t even remember my first college roommate! No, I’m not kidding. I’m not sure why these three starting getting together over Labor Day Weekend. I’m not 100% sure when they started it, but I know they’ve been doing it for as long as I’ve been alive (33 years). 

I think at first we went to a beach house. I don’t really have memories of this time… just stories that I’ve been told about how Mom would have to walk me up and down the street in the mornings because I wouldn’t stop crying and she didn’t want me waking everyone up. I don’t think my parents ever told the rest of the group about my ear troubles when I was a baby… they just let everyone think I was a crybaby. Anyway, my first real memories are of going to Ralice’s lake house. I can remember one time we stopped for ice cream and the girl behind the counter didn’t think Dad was with us because me, Mom, Sonny and Teresa Lynn all had brown hair while Dad had grey hair. Dad would bring his boat and it would sit there for most of the weekend (we might go out in it once). It seems the area would always be suffering a drought… until that weekend (when it would rain the whole weekend). Rain wasn’t a problem, though, because we all had our iPhones and… wait, that isn’t true. We had some board games, but I think that’s about it. I think we actually had to talk to each other all weekend (my God, how did we do it?!). I could be wrong, but I think Ralice had a room, Mom and Dad had a room, Janie and DG shared a room with their girls (Chandler, Jane and Sally) and Teresa Lynn. Sonny and I slept in the den. At some point during the early lake years, Paul and his two children (Jason and Ruth) joined the group.

My point here isn’t to give you a year by year account of Labor Day in my life, it’s to point out that 3 girls being roommates in college became 3 former roommates deciding to get together over a holiday weekend which in turn became a 3 generation family reunion. Everyone hasn’t been able to make it every year (I had to miss a couple of years in college), but the tradition has lived on. Last year was the first year in over a decade that we’ve all been under the same roof for the whole weekend. This year should be even better since some people who haven’t been able to make it the past few years will be back with us.

So I’m thankful that Mom went to Columbia College and was assigned (as far as I know, by pure luck) a room with Janie and Ralice. I’m thankful that they decided to start getting together over Labor Day Weekend… And I’m most thankful for all of their families who, over the years, have become my family.

















And I’m thankful that this is the year Sonny and I will beat DG and Paul in golf.

No comments:

Post a Comment