Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, July 23, 2012

Weigh-in Day...

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Abraham Greenawalt (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 30, 1864, at Franklin, Tennessee. His citation reads:

Capture of corps headquarters flag (C.S.A.).

Captain of the Forecastle John Greene (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 24, 1862, on board the USS Varuna. His citation reads:

Captain of a gun on board the U.S.S. Varuna during the attacks on Forts Jackson and St. Philip, and while under fire and ramming by the rebel ship Morgan, 24 April 1862. During this action at extremely close range while his ship was under furious fire and twice rammed by the rebel ship Morgan, Greene remained steadfast at his gun throughout the thickest of the fight and was instrumental in inflicting damage on the enemy until the Varuna, badly damaged and forced to beach, was finally sunk.

Major/Assistant Adjutant General Oliver D. Greene (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 17, 1862, at Antietam, Maryland. His citation reads:

Formed the columns under heavy fire and put them into position.


By the way, don’t forget to vote for the Charleston Baseball Hall of Fame. When you vote, remember to vote for Hatley, Glaze and Reams.

It’s getting close to that time of the year again… I’ll be asking you to give to my Memory Walk. I don’t have the info on me right now, but when I get it I’ll let you know. This year, I’m going to form my own team. Some of you may be asked to join my team… or you could be proactive and tell me you want to join my team. That would be great.

I’m working on a short-skit detailing the events of this past Thursday night. I hope to have it done sometime this week. Speaking of last Thursday night… some of you have been telling me I should have worn more safety equipment when I went to face the snake. Seems to me it was the snake that was lacking in the safety department.

We went up to Teresa Lynn’s house this past Saturday for a family gathering. It was a lot of fun and I know my kids had a great time. The girls were sick yesterday… Susie got better later in the day, but MR is still under the weather.

I have been asked for my stance on the Chick-fil-A boycott. Good… maybe it will mean shorter lines for me when I eat there. Seriously, like the Southern Baptist boycott of Disney and the NAACP boycott of South Carolina, I think this is all talk and won’t end up hurting. For the most part, I’m not a big fan of boycotts. Still, I don’t have a problem with people feeling strongly enough to boycott something. I’d rather they not get on their high-horse and tell me where I should or shouldn’t eat. Here’s a little something you may or may not know (or care about). I voted against the amendment banning gay-marriage in SC (if memory serves, I was one of about 45 votes against it). It might be a “technical” reason and I could be wrong on this issue… but I consider it a separation of church and state issue. I don’t think my church should have gay marriages in it, but I do think gay marriages (or civil unions, if that sounds better to some people) should be recognized by the state. Say what you will about marriage being a religious thing, but it’s the state that you have to buy a marriage license from. Anyway, I tell you all of this to show you that I’m not really on the same side of this issue as Chick-fil-A is, but I’m not going to boycott them… just like I’m not boycotting Disney because they have some “pro-gay” policies for their employees. I tend to boycott placeso/things I don’t like.


The I’m just sayin… Weekly Weigh-In

Greg 236

Mary Ruth 47
Susie 26

Daniel 26

No comments:

Post a Comment