Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, June 1, 2012

You should know…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Unknown British Soldier and French Soldier received their Medal of Honor for their actions during World War I. Their citation reads:

* * * By virtue of an act of Congress approved 4 March 1921, the Medal of Honor, emblem of highest ideals and virtues, is bestowed in the name of the Congress of the United States upon the unknown, unidentified British soldier and French soldier buried, respectively, in Westminster Abbey and Arc de Triomphe. Whereas: Great Britain and France, two of the Allies of the United States in the World War, have lately done honor to the unknown dead of their armies by placing with fitting ceremony the body of an unknown, unidentified soldier, respectively, in Westminster Abbey and in the Arc de Triomphe; and Whereas: animated by the same spirit of comradeship in which we of the American forces fought alongside these Allies, we desire to add whatever we can to the imperishable glory won by the deeds of our Allies and commemorated in part by this tribute to their unknown dead: Now, therefore, Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That the President of the United States of America be, and he hereby is, authorized to bestow with appropriate ceremonies, military and civil, the Medal of Honor upon the unknown, unidentified British soldier buried in Westminster Abbey, London, England, and upon the unknown, unidentified French soldier buried in the Arc de Triomphe, Paris, France (A.G. 220.523) (War Department General Orders, No. 52, 1 Dec. 1922, Sec. II)

Private Charles Robert Francis (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 21, 1900, near Tientsin, China. His citation reads:

In the presence of the enemy during the battle near Tientsin, China, 21 June 1900, Francis distinguished himself by meritorious conduct.

Quartermaster Frederick Franklin (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 11, 1871, on board the USS Colorado. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Colorado during the attack and capture of the Korean forts on 11 June 1871. Assuming command of Company D, after Lt. McKee was wounded, Franklin handled the company with great credit until relieved.


If you haven’t had a chance yet to read this post over at Our Life, you need to do so now. Make sure you are not in a crowd when you read it, because it will probably make you laugh out loud (I know it had me in tears). It reminded me of a story, but I don’t have time to tell it right now. I’ll try to tell you the story tomorrow.


The I’m just sayin… Know Your South Carolina Athlete

Matthew Richard Wieters was born on May 21, 1986 in Goose Creek, South Carolina. Wieters played high school baseball at Stratford High School under Coach John Chalus (a coach who I happen to have a good bit of respect for), where he led the Knights to the AAAA state championship series. Wieters' high school team also featured Justin Smoak (who ain’t too bad either). Even with all of that talent, I think Stratford didn’t win the state title (though I could be wrong). But for the sake of this post, let’s say I’m right… then that would mean when you look at State Champions in this state, Wieters would be tied with Sonny for zero… two behind me. But that’s really neither here nor there. Unlike Sonny (and me) Wieters played college baseball for Georgia Tech and is now a Major League Baseball catcher for the Baltimore Orioles. He was drafted fifth overall in the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft. He is a tall athletic hitter, standing 6 feet 5 inches tall. His ability to hit for power from both sides of the plate has drawn comparisons to Jorge Posada and Jason Varitek. Wieters was a multi-talented star who earned numerous honors throughout his college career. He is one of just three players in Georgia Tech history to earn first-team All-America honors on at least two occasions. He was named a first-team All-America by Rivals.com and first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference in 2007, first-team All-America by Baseball America and second-team All-ACC in 2006, and the ACC Rookie of the Year, Freshman All-America and first-team All-ACC in 2005.

A switch-hitting catcher who hits in the middle of the lineup, Wieters has a good eye at the plate and has great power to all fields. Wieters finished his junior season tied for sixth in the Yellow Jacket record books with 54 career doubles with 198 runs batted in along with 16 saves in his three years on the Flats. He also ranked 13th with a .359 career batting average and 418 total bases, tying for 16th with 35 home runs and 18th with 253 hits in his college career. He finished 2007 having played in 169 consecutive games. Wieters served as Tech's primary closer for his first two years and as one of two closers his junior season.

While still early in his major league career, Wieters was elected to the 2011 AL All Star team. And perhaps even more impressive, Matt Wieters has joined the outstanding list of South Carolina Athletes You Should Know.

No comments:

Post a Comment