Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Sunday, June 10, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUSTIN!!!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

First Sergeant Leonard A. Funk, Jr. (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 29, 1945, at Holzheim, Belgium. His citation reads:

He distinguished himself by gallant, intrepid actions against the enemy. After advancing 15 miles in a driving snowstorm, the American force prepared to attack through waist-deep drifts. The company executive officer became a casualty, and 1st Sgt. Funk immediately assumed his duties, forming headquarters soldiers into a combat unit for an assault in the face of direct artillery shelling and harassing fire from the right flank. Under his skillful and courageous leadership, this miscellaneous group and the 3d Platoon attacked 15 houses, cleared them, and took 30 prisoners without suffering a casualty. The fierce drive of Company C quickly overran Holzheim, netting some 80 prisoners, who were placed under a 4-man guard, all that could be spared, while the rest of the understrength unit went about mopping up isolated points of resistance. An enemy patrol, by means of a ruse, succeeded in capturing the guards and freeing the prisoners, and had begun preparations to attack Company C from the rear when 1st Sgt. Funk walked around the building and into their midst. He was ordered to surrender by a German officer who pushed a machine pistol into his stomach. Although overwhelmingly outnumbered and facing almost certain death, 1st Sgt. Funk, pretending to comply with the order, began slowly to unsling his submachine gun from his shoulder and then, with lightning motion, brought the muzzle into line and riddled the German officer. He turned upon the other Germans, firing and shouting to the other Americans to seize the enemy's weapons. In the ensuing fight 21 Germans were killed, many wounded, and the remainder captured. 1st Sgt. Funk's bold action and heroic disregard for his own safety were directly responsible for the recapture of a vastly superior enemy force, which, if allowed to remain free, could have taken the widespread units of Company C by surprise and endangered the entire attack plan.

Major West Funk (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 9, 1865, at Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag of 46th Virginia Infantry (C.S.A.).

Colonel Frederick Funston (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 27, 1899, at Rio Grande de la Pampanga, Luzon, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

Crossed the river on a raft and by his skill and daring enabled the general commanding to carry the enemy's entrenched position on the north bank of the river and to drive him with great loss from the important strategic position of Calumpit.


We’d like to take a second to wish my favorite nephew (the son of Sonny) Austin a VERY HAPPY 10th BIRTHDAY!!! Let’s now take a look at ten things about Austin and when he was born.

1. Like his Uncle Greg, Austin has that rare combination of brains and athletic ability.

2. Both of his grandmothers left the hospital to go get lunch before Austin was born because they knew it would be awhile before he was born.

3. My Dad was waiting at the delivery room door when they (the grandmothers) got back to let them know Austin arrived while they were gone. They did not believe him.

4. The grandmothers walked into the room to meet Austin.

5. The Wife and I got married 12 days after Austin was born.

6. On the list of when my parents grandchildren were born, Austin comes in at #4 overall, #1 for grandsons.

7. He once sang a Johnny Cash song… at a church talent show. (He gets that from his daddy).

8. The #1 movie of 2002 was The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

9. Run-D.M.C officially disbanded after the murder of Jam-Master Jay the year Austin was born.

10. The 2002 Winston Cup Series Champion was Tony Stewart.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUSTIN!!!!!!!



The I’m just sayin… Bible Verse of the Week
2 TIMOTHY 4:7

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment