Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, March 16, 2012

You should know...

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Ordinary Seaman Bartholomew Diggins (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864 on board the USS Hartford. His citation reads:

On board the flagship, U.S.S. Hartford, during action against rebel forts and gunboats and with the ram Tennessee in Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Despite damage to his ship and the loss of several men on board as enemy fire raked her decks, Diggins, as loader of a gun, remained steadfast at his post throughout the furious 2-hour battle which resulted in the surrender of the rebel ram Tennessee and in the damaging and destruction of batteries at Fort Morgan.

Private First Class George Dilboy (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 18, 1918 near Belleau, France. His citation reads:

After his platoon had gained its objective along a railroad embankment, Pfc. Dilboy, accompanying his platoon leader to reconnoiter the ground beyond, was suddenly fired upon by an enemy machinegun from 100 yards. From a standing position on the railroad track, fully exposed to view, he opened fire at once, but failing to silence the gun, rushed forward with his bayonet fixed, through a wheat field toward the gun emplacement, falling within 25 yards of the gun with his right leg nearly severed above the knee and with several bullet holes in his body. With undaunted courage he continued to fire into the emplacement from a prone position, killing 2 of the enemy and dispersing the rest of the crew.

Captain Hubert Dilger (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 2, 1863 at Chancellorsville, Virginia. His citation reads:

Fought his guns until the enemy were upon him, then with one gun hauled in the road by hand he formed the rear guard and kept the enemy at bay by the rapidity of his fire and was the last man in the retreat.


The I’m just sayin… Know Your South Carolina Athlete

Billy Baker: For the second week in a row, I don’t have a lot of stats or stuff like that for this section. I did try a little harder to find the stats this week, but I guess the internet doesn’t have everything. Or maybe I just didn’t look hard enough. Anyway, our athlete for this week is former James Island High School pitcher Billy Baker. Baker is a couple of years older than Sonny and, thus, was a teammate of his in high school. He could have also been a teammate after high school, but one of them decided not to go play for a school that would make it to the College World Series. Anyway, if you were to ask some of the better baseball minds in the area they will tell you that Billy was the best pitcher they ever had play for them. I believe it. He was the kind of pitcher that could carry a team to a win. Baker was on the 1990 Citadel team that made it to the College World Series. He was the MVP of the Southern Conference Tournament that same season. In addition to pitching, I believe he was also an outfielder and a DH. He was a senior on the 1986 James Island team that Coach Hatley at one time considered the best JI team he had coached. That team won the Region title and ended up making it to the Lower State Championship game. The 1990 Citadel team ended the season with a 45-12 overall record (13-1 conference record)… a record number of wins for the school. So now you know that Billy Baker is a South Carolina Athlete you should know.

No comments:

Post a Comment