Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, March 2, 2012

Season over…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

First Sergeant Charles H. De Puy (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 30, 1864 at Petersburg, Virginia. His citation reads:

Being an old artillerist, aided General Bartlett in working the guns of the dismantled fort.

Private John F. De Swan (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 1, 1898 at Santiago, Cuba. His citation reads:

Gallantly assisted in the rescue of the wounded from in front of the lines and under heavy fire from the enemy.

Corporal Richard W. De Witt (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 22, 1863 at Vicksburg, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Gallantry in the charge of the "volunteer storming party."


Winthrop lost last night in the Big South Tournament to VMI. The Eagles ended the season with 20 losses… something that I don’t believe has happened since I was a freshman at the school. The bad news/good news here is that Winthrop had four seniors in the starting line-up. Bad news because I liked these seniors… good news because, well, they just got done with a 20 loss season. So, maybe next season with a new starting line-up will bring some new results. Many fans want to fire Coach Peele and I understand that… but I’m not big on firing coaches. If it happens, it happens and I will support the new coach. But I still believe Coach Peele can get the program turned back around and heading in the right direction.


The I’m just sayin… Know Your South Carolina Athlete

Today we are going to take a look at arguably the greatest Winthrop Basketball player of all time (Torrell Martin). I say arguably because I could argue this by myself for hours and still not walk away with an answer. But he’s at least in the discussion. Torrell was the best player on the 06-07 team (the best team in Winthrop history)… which is one reason he’s in the discussion. Martin was a 6’5”, 200 pound guard whose only weakness was a bad knee. Torrell was a fan favorite who played from 03-04 through 06-07. In his time, the Eagles won three straight Big South Regular Season and Tournament Championships. He made the Big South All-Freshman Team and was an All-Conference player as a Sophomore, Junior and Senior. Twice he made the Big South All-Tournament Team (and was named Tournament MVP each time). Torrell started 95 out of the 108 games he played; made 495 shots (43.3%), made 225 three-pointers (38.8%), grabbed 525 rebounds, dished 173 assists, blocked 31 shots and had 154 steals. In total he scored 1,387 points for a per-game average of 12.5. Perhaps most important, Torrell was a leader… and a very good one at that. At the time of his graduation, Torrell was #10 on the All-Time Games Started list, #6 on the All-Time Points Scored list, #7 on the Field Goals Made list, #11 on the Rebounds list, #7 on the Steals list. Martin also had a double-double in Winthrop’s 74-64 first round win over Notre Dame which helped the Eagles finish the season ranked #22 in the final AP poll.

No comments:

Post a Comment