Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, March 1, 2012

Happy March!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Lance Corporal Emilio A. De La Garza, Jr. (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 11, 1970 near Da Nang, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a machine gunner with Company E. Returning with his squad from a night ambush operation, L/Cpl. De La Garza joined his platoon commander and another marine in searching for 2 enemy soldiers who had been observed fleeing for cover toward a small pond. Moments later, he located 1 of the enemy soldiers hiding among the reeds and brush. As the 3 marines attempted to remove the resisting soldier from the pond, L/Cpl. De La Garza observed him pull the pin on a grenade. Shouting a warning, L/Cpl. De La Garza placed himself between the other 2 marines and the ensuing blast from the grenade, thereby saving the lives of his comrades at the sacrifice of his life. By his prompt and decisive action, and his great personal valor in the face of almost certain death, L/Cpl. De La Garza upheld and further enhanced the finest traditions of the Marine Corps and the U.S. Naval Service.

First Sergeant Patrick De Lacey (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions during the Civil War. His citation reads:

Running ahead of the line, under a concentrated fire, he shot the color bearer of a Confederate regiment on the works, thus contributing to the success of the attack.

Sergeant Hiram H. De Lavie (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 1, 1865 at Five Forks, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag.


2 down, 10 to go…

It was a sad night in the Horres house last night as news broke that the Steelers are going to release Hines Ward. As I’m sure you know, Hines Ward is The Wife’s favorite football player. What you might not know is that he is also on a very select list of former UGA football players that I like (Former UGA Football Players I Like: Hines Ward - That’s it. That’s the list.). So happy trails, Hines Ward. You might still have some years left in the NFL for some other team… but to The House of Greg, you will always be a Steeler.

Congrats to the Winthrop Men’s Basketball team for their win over Campbell yesterday in their first game in the Big South Tournament.


Thankful Thursday

Speaking of the Eagles, a blog post was brought to my attention about the former play-by-play announcer for Winthrop (Mike Cranston). Cranston left Winthrop after the 05-06 season (right before the greatest WU season ever… talk about bad timing). While I have grown to love the current radio guy, I was a big fan of Cranston and the job he did at Winthrop. If you click on this link and read his post, you’ll see he came close to killing himself. It seems he’s been in one heck of a fight with depression. I’ll be honest, depression isn’t something I fully understand. I get that it’s real… it’s not that I don’t believe it’s an awful disease (because I do), but it’s just hard for me to understand how someone could feel so depressed that they would want to end it all. There have been times when I’ve been in a “funk”… but I guess I’m too conceited to ever want to kill myself. Or maybe I’m too lazy… or maybe I just listened to “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” one too many times as a kid… whatever the reason, I’ve never had to deal with the kind of stuff that Cranston and others have to. So my Thankful Thursday is for all of the people out there who don’t give up. For all the people like Mike who keep fighting depression. If you are one of those people, keep fighting the good fight. I don’t know what you’re going through, but I believe you’ll get through it. You might think you’ve really screwed up… but trust me, I’m sure I’ve done worse. And if I haven’t, it’s just because I haven’t gotten around to it yet (my laziness is a curse… and a blessing).

No comments:

Post a Comment